Jadeninja9's Camponotus hyatti Journal

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

YSTheAnt

Re: Jadeninja9's Camponotus hyatti Journal

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:19 am

Yeah, try that. It's cool how your ants survived a week with just one feeding :o . What types of ants do you see I'm the bay area? I live there too... But all I see is tetramorium and argentine ants.
Check out my blog: bayareaants.blogspot.com
Keeper of:
Camponotus Modoc(6 workers)
Pheidole Spp (2 queens, about 10 workers)
Possibly parasitic Formica (further ID required)
Novomessor Cockerelli (10+ workers)

Jadeninja9

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:53 pm

YSTheAnt wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:19 am
Yeah, try that. It's cool how your ants survived a week with just one feeding :o . What types of ants do you see I'm the bay area? I live there too... But all I see is tetramorium and argentine ants.
Sometimes I see camponotus, monomorium, Formica, and Lasius. I wouldn't know if I've seen anything else though because I wouldn't know how do identify them lol.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Jadeninja9

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Turns out somehow 2 of my workers escaped. I don't know how it happened. Hopefully it won't affect them much since one worker hatched. They're at 12 workers now.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

FarrAnts

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:11 am

Thats great my dude. Also, remember the two formica ravida I captured? I figured out they don't lay until the next summer. -.-
Ball is life... Ants included.

Jadeninja9

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:25 pm

FarrAnts wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:11 am
Thats great my dude. Also, remember the two formica ravida I captured? I figured out they don't lay until the next summer. -.-
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha RIP
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Jadeninja9

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:26 pm

Setup Update: I added a new test tube to their setup about two weeks ago. I did this because their current test tube setup that I bought them in had the cotton mold over and the water is light green. I thought they would move into it but they just cut off pieces of mold from the cotton and put it in the new tube as a trash sight lol. Now they use this tube for clean drinking water, their bathroom, and garbage site. Every once in awhile I replace the tube to keep their water clean.

Now I gave them a new test tube setup today so they could move out. Two weeks ago they kept trying to move into the entrance of their foraging area to get away from the mold. It was too close to where they got fed so they kept moving back into the tube, then after awhile, they move back. This kept repeating until this week. Now they're kinda okay with their spot but I can tell they are avoiding the mold cause they moved the brood away from it. The new setup I'm providing them is a normal setup, except the entrance, is blocked off with cotton with a straw in-between it and the tube. This is so, I'm hoping at least, it makes this new possible home for them more appealing since it's less open and the entrance is smaller.

This is how their entire setup looks like.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Jadeninja9

Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:39 pm

I tried forcing them to move out last night. I know I should just let them move out when they want, but they don't know how. So they've just been stuck in their moldy setup. There isn't much mold over the cotton actually, because they keep trimming it back like they're some gardeners or something. But their water is light green, and they keep placing mold in the Outworld as a way to dispose of it, and I don't want their mold spreading. So I took a really bright flashlight and put it against the tube. I was hoping that they'd move into their new clean, and enclosed setup. I had it blocked off with cotton and a straw that went through the cotton so they could pass in and out the tube. For the first hour, they were kind of moving around rapidly, they picked up a few pupae, but that was really it. After awhile they started just acting normal like there was no light at all. They were totally unfazed. What worried me was that one worker for some reason decided to eat one of the eggs. I watched it with the egg in its mandibles, then it started chewing it up and swallowed it. It even had a bit of egg left over on its mandible. I don't know why it did that, but that was the only instance in the total 3 hours I had the flashlight up to them. Eventually, the flashlight ran out of battery so I just stopped. I guess if they wanna move out they will, but I doubt they will ever because they will keep on fighting the mold back even though there are still tons of spores in there.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

FarrAnts

Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:39 pm
I tried forcing them to move out last night. I know I should just let them move out when they want, but they don't know how. So they've just been stuck in their moldy setup. There isn't much mold over the cotton actually, because they keep trimming it back like they're some gardeners or something. But their water is light green, and they keep placing mold in the Outworld as a way to dispose of it, and I don't want their mold spreading. So I took a really bright flashlight and put it against the tube. I was hoping that they'd move into their new clean, and enclosed setup. I had it blocked off with cotton and a straw that went through the cotton so they could pass in and out the tube. For the first hour, they were kind of moving around rapidly, they picked up a few pupae, but that was really it. After awhile they started just acting normal like there was no light at all. They were totally unfazed. What worried me was that one worker for some reason decided to eat one of the eggs. I watched it with the egg in its mandibles, then it started chewing it up and swallowed it. It even had a bit of egg left over on its mandible. I don't know why it did that, but that was the only instance in the total 3 hours I had the flashlight up to them. Eventually, the flashlight ran out of battery so I just stopped. I guess if they wanna move out they will, but I doubt they will ever because they will keep on fighting the mold back even though there are still tons of spores in there.
I tried to change some of my ants to a different test tube. I tried the flashlight thing with mine too, but that didn't work. Then I used a bearded dragon light, which produces more heat than light, and they moved out into a different test tube within minutes. Just be careful, because one worker died of the heat.
Ball is life... Ants included.

Jadeninja9

Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:47 pm

FarrAnts wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:46 pm
I tried to change some of my ants to a different test tube. I tried the flashlight thing with mine too, but that didn't work. Then I used a bearded dragon light, which produces more heat than light, and they moved out into a different test tube within minutes. Just be careful, because one worker died of the heat.
oh wow
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Jadeninja9

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:52 pm

My 13th worker hatched. I should really have 15 by now, but somehow two other workers disappeared at the beginning of the week. I think they must have escaped and died. I have around 10 dark pupae so I should have a lot more workers hatching soon.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans