Odontomachus Queen

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

thamkimchung

Odontomachus Queen

Sun May 08, 2016 10:05 pm

I catch an Odontomachus queen (aka Trap Jaw) 2 weeks ago. At first, I'm not even sure it is a queen, cause it's body shape just look like a normal worker. So i just put it in a test tube setup. It's look so aggressive, so I wrap the test tube with a black color paper in order to calm it down. Weeks ago, it laid eggs. 3 eggs in total. From what I know, Trap Jaw is a semi claustral species. How many food I need to provide to her? Should I put it in a small out world for her to wonder around and to find food?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Odontomachus Queen

Mon May 09, 2016 12:35 am

I don't know about Odontomachus specifically, but with semi-claustral, you will need to provide food. You can either pull the cotton on the test tube to feed, or remove the cotton plug and place in an outworld. Another option would be to connect the test tube to an AntsCanada Test Tube Portal and put food in the portal when needed.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Wed May 11, 2016 12:21 pm

Ooper is correct that would be the way to feed the queen. Yes, Odontomachus are semi-claustral so they need to eat during the founding process. They are a bit difficult to get started though, so good luck!

:D
Ant Love Forever.

MCWren

Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:40 pm

Is your queen still alive?

thamkimchung

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:51 am

Yup, it still alive. But her first batch of eggs had fail. Some turned to larvae and then they died. It was due to lack of food. Now I feed the queen at least once every 2 days. Now she has a new batch of eggs and 2 of the eggs already turned to larvae. All are healthy.

StormDancer

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:06 pm

I feed my two odontomachus queens termites. They're easy to find here. I imagine flightless fruitflies would work equally well. My two girls love their termites.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!