Workers just hatched but...

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Grammynumnums

Workers just hatched but...

Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:43 am

There is no more water left in the test tube, I know that I have to connect another test tube but I am not sure if I will stress out the workers that just hatched. What should I do?

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Workers just hatched but...

Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:04 pm

Grammynumnums wrote:There is no more water left in the test tube, I know that I have to connect another test tube but I am not sure if I will stress out the workers that just hatched. What should I do?
You'll have to move them because they will not only need the water but also the humidity for the eggs, larva, pupa to develop. Here's a video I did on one of AntsCanada's products that make it easier to do tube to tube transfers, The AntsCanada Test Tube Adapter. If you don't want to use the adapters you can simply tape the tubing to the test tubes but at least watch the video from 1:48 on. Its a trick I use to allow air into the tubes, if you don't and simply tabe two tubes together then they won't get any more air and if they take their time moving they could run out of air.

TIP: If they won't move or you want to move them quicker then take a light and place it near the tube you want them to leave and the other tube wrap it with something that will block out the light, The workers will wander into the other tubs and find it's a better place (darker) and then convince the queen to move there. WARNING: If you use a standard light bulb make sure you don't get it too close to the tube because it will put off heat and if they get too hot they will cook and die. Mikey does have some helpful videos on the AntsCanada YouTube channel showing how to do this.

Here's my video

And here's a link to the AntsCanada YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCONd1SNf3_QqjzjCVsURNuA
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Grammynumnums

Re: Workers just hatched but...

Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:04 pm

I connected two tubes together and I put a drop of honey in the new tube. One workers keeps running back and forth and feeding the honey to the queen. Hopefully it will see that there is water there and they will move two the new tube.