Heating young colony?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

TreyGuth

Heating young colony?

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:56 am

My colony of camponotus has around 50 workers, they're in an extra large omni nest and they are in an air conditioned room, so I was thinking of getting a heating pad or cable. Im in Texas. What should I get? A pad or cable and what watt will be okay? Is there anything else I need to get or do for heating the nest? And you don't heat the whole nest, correct?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Heating young colony?

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:02 pm

I like the heat cable option. Google for "Zoo Med Reptile Heat Cable 15 Watts". I believe 15 watt is one of the lowest wattages they have, which is good for ants. Run it under your Omni nest on one side. This will create a heat gradient in the nest and allow them to choose the temperature which best suits them.

Also on heat cables, remember that the first 6 feet or so of the cable remains cold. There is usually a mark of some sort on the cable to indicate where it begins to get hot.

Also, you may want to keep the heat cable away from the hydration chambers, otherwise you may get condensation inside the Omni nest.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Heating young colony?

Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:19 am

I use a 5 Watt heat mat. I don't place it under the nest but next to my hybrid nest that way the radiating heat can only "Warm" up the one side allowing the ants to move to the area they want depending on the temp they want. Remember that they will bring the brood near the heat to help incubate the eggs faster but you still don't want it too hot.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: