Ant colony won't grow

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

GrumpyEggs

Ant colony won't grow

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:04 pm

So I have a tetramorium sp. e colony that I've had for almost a year now they've stayed about 10 workers for a year now and I'm not sure what I've been doing wrong. I feed them regularly with Dubai roaches and honey they get their water from the sponges in a medium omni nest. Please help!
Keeper of tetramorium immgrans

Dream species: prenolepis imparis

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Ant colony won't grow

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:22 pm

Hello there,

Do you have a thermometer or something close by so you can check the general temperature of the nest? Do you also know the exact species of the ants? If not try to post a picture here via imgur so someone can identify the antspecies. This way we can give you some more help for your specific type of ants.

Could it be that your ants just have too much space? Does the queen lay some eggs every now and then or is it just that she lays new eggs as soon as the workers start to die? Have you tried other insects too like crickets or mealworms?

Are the ants exposed to light all the time? Like do they have a darkened area available to hide from the light? Most ants hate being exposed to light and try to just find the darkest spot or get stressed and don't lay any eggs because it is much to bright. Can you post some pictures or the whole setup so we can try to find the issue? Like just take a picture of the setup in it's usual state so we can get a clear picture of the whole situation.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.