IRonic!Solenopsis Invicta Inading Room!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

PTasker15

IRonic!Solenopsis Invicta Inading Room!

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:13 am

I Know The AC Fam Is Not Pest Control..But A Mature Colony Of Solenopsis Invicta(Referred From Now On As Rifa)Is Raiding My Room!I Would Pesticide It..But I Have My Ants!Ideas?They Won't Die Even With Bug Killer!And Threaten Not Only My Ants..But My Month Old Bearded Dragon!They Just Killed Most Of Her Crickets!And Invaded Her Cage..Help!
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

AntsLuxembourg

Re: IRonic!Solenopsis Invicta Inading Room!

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:28 pm

I am not sure if it would work but try this.
Put a bowl somewhere close to those areas and put some dead crickets inside it. Then add a barrier or that babypowder or if you have liquid teflon arround the border so the ants can no longer come out. This way you can trap the ants for a while and dump them all into a random box you can close. Perhaps try to watch where they are going so you can see where they enter.

So keep your current ants safe you should add a barrier arround your current setup. Make sure that there is no possible hole they could get inside so your ants are safe. if you got an open tank or something then add a barrier on the outside so they can't climb in.

Perhaps watch the video of AntsCanada where he shows his tactic of dealing with the pharao ants
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

PTasker15

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Yeah.But This Is A Mature Fire Ant Colony...That Would Never Work.They Wouldent Fall For Crickets.I Will Try Syrup.
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

antsofthelowcountry

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:30 am

Handheld vacuum cleaner to suck all of the invading ants up and then use rubbing alcohol to wipe out the pheromone trails .
As always, wishing you well on your exciting ant adventure, Ants the Lowcountry.

FolloweroftheWay

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:59 am

Permithrin treating of the area they are coming in will get rid of them. I use it in my house on the floors and my ant colonies are open air. It's a contact poison so just don't put it in the colony formicarium.

M.
Solenopsis Richteri x 2
Lasius Neoniger x 2
Camponotus spp. x1
Wish List:

Monomorium pharaonis

antsofthelowcountry

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Use diatomaceous earth chalk. Diatomaceous earth chalk is used as a physical insecticide, due to its properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the outer layer of insects exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate. Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency. This earth chalk is non-toxic but must be dry in order to work.
As always, wishing you well on your exciting ant adventure, Ants the Lowcountry.

TheRealAntMan

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:56 pm

antsofthelowcountry wrote:
Handheld vacuum cleaner to suck all of the invading ants up and then use rubbing alcohol to wipe out the pheromone trails .
Not sure about rubbing alcohol but I know vinegar destroys ant trails and even deters them.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

TheRealAntMan

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:57 pm

Also use cinnamon, as it is poisonous to ants.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

Hunter36o

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:30 am

antsofthelowcountry wrote:
Use vinegar instead. White vinegar if possible. Will clear the pheromones better then the rubbing alcohol. Save that for your baby powder mix.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.