Keep Queen In Air Conditioned Room?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

KooYon

Keep Queen In Air Conditioned Room?

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:53 pm

Hello, I am VERY new to ant keeping. I only caught my first queen about a week ago. I have been doing more research online and on youtube. I have learned that a lot of people either keep their ants in a room that has the Air conditioner off or in a garage/storage, or on a heating pad. I am currently keeping my queen in a drawer that I rarely use, which is located in my bedroom. I just checked on her today and she already has what appears to be 2 eggs.

I'm wondering if I should move her to a storage room I have attached to my house that isn't cooled or should I keep her in my bedroom.
She's a Pogonymermex Sp and I know their founding burrows are about 6 to 12 inches deep, which would keep her a little cooler than the 100-105 degree F temperatures it has been getting to here each day.

Thanks for the help.

PS - Shes in a regular test tube setup.

StormDancer

Re: Keep Queen In Air Conditioned Room?

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:03 pm

You'll need to give her somewhere to forage. Most Pogos as far as I know are semi claustral. If she's laying, she's likely content. Check the temp in the drawer you have her in. You probably don't have to move her. Even if she isn't quite up to 80 degrees the colony will just grow slower.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!

AntsLuxembourg

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 am

There was actually a video about this on AntsCanada which mentioned that ants can heat themself but it would be good to offer the colony a spot with heat so they can choose between the warm and cool area.

Alright I searched a little bit and found the video immediatly. Hope it helps. :D
https://youtu.be/2BaYJx9LzSc?t=11m24s
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

METLOAFF

Mon May 24, 2021 3:50 pm

Watch the video on this topic.

AntsLuxembourg

Wed May 26, 2021 6:45 am

KooYon wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:53 pm
Hello, I am VERY new to ant keeping. I only caught my first queen about a week ago. I have been doing more research online and on youtube. I have learned that a lot of people either keep their ants in a room that has the Air conditioner off or in a garage/storage, or on a heating pad. I am currently keeping my queen in a drawer that I rarely use, which is located in my bedroom. I just checked on her today and she already has what appears to be 2 eggs.

I'm wondering if I should move her to a storage room I have attached to my house that isn't cooled or should I keep her in my bedroom.
She's a Pogonymermex Sp and I know their founding burrows are about 6 to 12 inches deep, which would keep her a little cooler than the 100-105 degree F temperatures it has been getting to here each day.

Thanks for the help.

PS - Shes in a regular test tube setup.
Not sure why but I am a bit in disbelieve that I already replied to this one. ^^
I'm quite bamboozled now.

Anyway, how is your colony doing? I'm curious to see how they are doing. :)

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

METLOAFF

Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:35 am

A couple of years ago, my son decided to get himself ants. We have a private house. We bought them an aquarium and everything they need for life. Thought for a long time where to put all this. a couple of days everything was fine, until one day they began to die. For a long time, we could not understand what the matter was. New place. Unsuitable food. Improper care. But then we realized that it was because of the air conditioner. They are freezing under it. They could not adjust the air conditioner themselves. And for the aquarium, it was the only good place in the house. So I had to call the company to resolve this issue. https://www.socool.sg/ they arrived, set everything up as needed. So ants are alive and well. And did not have to move the aquarium to another place.

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:28 am

METLOAFF wrote:
A couple of years ago, my son decided to get himself ants. We have a private house. We bought them an aquarium and everything they need for life. Thought for a long time where to put all this. a couple of days everything was fine, until one day they began to die. For a long time, we could not understand what the matter was. New place. Unsuitable food. Improper care. But then we realized that it was because of the air conditioner. They are freezing under it. They could not adjust the air conditioner themselves. And for the aquarium, it was the only good place in the house. So I had to call the company to resolve this issue. https://www.socool.sg/ they arrived, set everything up as needed. So ants are alive and well. And did not have to move the aquarium to another place.
Good to read this story. I think I am lucky that I don't have an air conditionner in my appartment, otherwise my ants would be dying or at least they would be very very sluggish for most of the time.

METLOAFF

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:18 am

METLOAFF wrote:
Good to read this story. I think I am lucky that I don't have an air conditionner in my appartment, otherwise my ants would be dying or at least they would be very very sluggish for most of the time.
Thank you, I agree with you. Later, I decided to move the aquarium to another room without air conditioning.

DangeonMaster

Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:39 pm

SRecently I realized that the operation of the air conditioner does not completely suit me. Everything was so bad that I got sick and went to the doctor, he said that a sore throat could be caused by a very cold air conditioner, I didn’t believe it at first and therefore decided to search the Internet. Stumbled upon an interesting blog, something like sore throat from air conditioning. It turns out that a malfunctioning air conditioner can seriously harm your health. I advise you to keep an eye on the air conditioner, as due to its malfunction, your ants may suffer.

KekGuy

Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:52 pm

I agree with the commenter above, my friend had a severe sore throat after one night with the faulty air conditioner turned on. This has resulted in serious health problems for him and this is no joke, if I do not convince you to check out the blog sore throat from air conditioning. Hypothermia can also threaten ants, I advise you to closely monitor the health of the air conditioner.