Formica lugubris

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Megaraptor12345

Formica lugubris

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:18 am

Hey, so I'm new to ant keeping but I just caught a F. lugubris queen after the recent nuptials. She has no wings so I'm pretty sure she's fertilized. I wasn't sure whether she was claustral or not, so I left a test tube covered with black paper in her outworld and also a smaller water tube, a bit of cotton soaked in honey and some crushed up hazelnuts. But she hasn't settled down yet at all in the test tube, and she's running all around with no signs of stopping. Is this normal? When will she settle? I've only had her for a couple of days but I'm really nervous. Should I just leave her, or is she claustral and needs to be confined?

Batspiderfish

Re: Formica lugubris

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:26 am

Having a solid identification may be important, but all rufa, sanguinea, microgyna, and exsectioides-group Formica are social parasites that require a small number of Formica worker pupae to start a colony.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Megaraptor12345

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:06 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Having a solid identification may be important, but all rufa, sanguinea, microgyna, and exsectioides-group Formica are social parasites that require a small number of Formica worker pupae to start a colony.
OK, is F. lugubris a social parasite? I've heard it isn't.

Batspiderfish

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:58 pm

Megaraptor12345 wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
They alternatively use colony budding, where a portion of the mother colony lives in a new nest with the newly mated queen, but queens on their own are looking for a host species to invade. If the identity is correct, they are from the rufa group. In captivity, they just need several Formica worker pupae.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Megaraptor12345

Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:48 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:58 pm
Megaraptor12345 wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
They alternatively use colony budding, where a portion of the mother colony lives in a new nest with the newly mated queen, but queens on their own are looking for a host species to invade. If the identity is correct, they are from the rufa group. In captivity, they just need several Formica worker pupae.
Thanks for your advice! Got a few F. lemani workers and pupae and the workers are looking after the queen well! :D