Queen Ant Behaviour Question

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JadamJedi

Queen Ant Behaviour Question

Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:58 am

So my question is fairly odd... My Soleonopsis Invicta Queen is sitting in her small container. (No test tubes here, just clear film roll containers with paper towels and sugar water) She has already laid eggs after two days!!! However, I noticed she hasnt set them down anywhere, she just keeps them in her mouth.

Is it normal for her to just carry the eggs in her mouth?

Has anyone else noticed such behaviour?

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen Ant Behaviour Question

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:36 am

Solenopsis invicta in Washington? unlikely.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JadamJedi

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:50 pm

There's not very many but even the pest control experts are saying they are moving in. And it definitely gets warm enough here in Seattle...

Anyways do you know I that's normal behavior or not?

StormDancer

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:30 am

My Solenopsis queen just laid last night. Shes in a deli cup with a moist paper towel on one side because I ran out of cotton for test tubes. She has her eggs as far from the moisture as she can get them. Perhaps humidity is an issue?
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!

Batspiderfish

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Holding onto brood is pretty common; when the brood is resting in an adult's mandibles, it's less prone to infection.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

JadamJedi

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:53 am

Ah okay, thanks Batspiderfish. Yeah, I hope this colony is more successful than my current one.... I think my queen of my formica fusca has lost her mind and she has just abandoned her workers.... Oh well...

Thats good to hear about your queen btw!!! That dixie cup is a cheap idea!!! I wonder if she is keeping away from that water due to humidity too.... How is she holding up so far though?

StormDancer

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:45 am

Her and the other five queens I have are all doing good. Have two forelius in some homemade founding chambers as an experiment. And 3 in test tubes. Those three and the solenopsis queen all have eggs and appear quite content even upon my quick intrusion to check on them.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!