C.penn queen filped over URGENT!!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

LukeTheGreat

C.penn queen filped over URGENT!!

Wed May 30, 2018 3:02 pm

My c penn colony of 9 has had there queen flipped and she doesn’t seem able to right herself, she just struggles

antnest8

Re: C.penn queen filped over URGENT!!

Thu May 31, 2018 2:21 pm

where is she?

if she in in a test tube you might need a different nest i have noticed some camponotus queens have trouble in the test tubes round structure.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

jhaltmeyer

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:57 pm

I am new at ant keeping but I managed to find two Camponotus queens. The test tubes I ordered had not arrived when I had found the first one but came the next day so had them for the second. I put the first one in a plastic oval shaped toothbrush travel case with cotton limiting the space and she has three to four times the amount of eggs than the one in the round test tube. I don't know if that is the reason but after reading antnest8's reply I'm thinking the flattened bottom of the toothbrush holder may be helping. I for one, am relieved to know that the toothbrush case wasn't a terrible idea after all. (This is my first queen ant!)

AntsDakota

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 pm

jhaltmeyer wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:57 pm
I am new at ant keeping but I managed to find two Camponotus queens. The test tubes I ordered had not arrived when I had found the first one but came the next day so had them for the second. I put the first one in a plastic oval shaped toothbrush travel case with cotton limiting the space and she has three to four times the amount of eggs than the one in the round test tube. I don't know if that is the reason but after reading antnest8's reply I'm thinking the flattened bottom of the toothbrush holder may be helping. I for one, am relieved to know that the toothbrush case wasn't a terrible idea after all. (This is my first queen ant!)
I will try an experiment with my queens and see if flat surfaces indeed make queens lay more eggs.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25