Harvester Ant Queen Care

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

StormDancer

Harvester Ant Queen Care

Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm

So I understand that harvester ant queens are a little difficult to get started. There are large populations of them in my area. My question is how do you successfully care for these queens? Specifically novomessor and pogonomyrmex.
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!

AntNoobster

Re: Harvester Ant Queen Care

Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:07 am

StormDancer wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm
So I understand that harvester ant queens are a little difficult to get started. There are large populations of them in my area. My question is how do you successfully care for these queens? Specifically novomessor and pogonomyrmex.
just a test tube should be fine. They arent too hard to get started. once you get quite a few workers you might need some seeds since they like to forage for seeds
"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest." Proverbs 6:6-8

Founding:
8x Iridomyrmex sp.
1x Pheidole sp.

Batspiderfish

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:17 am

Most Pogonomyrmex are semi-claustral. Even though they are called harvester ants, it might be more sensible to feed them insects, at least until the colony gets rolling.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

StormDancer

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:39 am

Thank you! Any other advice is appreciated ☺
Learn to dance in the rain, because after there are queens to find!