Hybrid Nest With Frequent Escapes

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

PTasker15

Hybrid Nest With Frequent Escapes

Mon May 21, 2018 6:48 am

I Bought A Tetramourium Hybrid Nest About 4 Months Ago For 3 Tetramourium Binarcintrum Queens.They,As Expected,Grew.They Have About 20 Workers.Although Now Counts The Second Time They've Escaped From The "Pitch-Perfect Nest".How?Glass Was Gorilla Glued Down,A Ports Closed.
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

colo3000

Re: Hybrid Nest With Frequent Escapes

Mon May 21, 2018 8:37 am

There isn’t a lot of information to go off of here. What did you use to close all the ports on the nest? Also I would definitely not recommend gorilla glue to glue down the glass, as it can be toxic to your ants. Plain old Elmer’s Glue has worked just fine for my tetramorium for about a year now.
-Colo3000

idahoantgirl

Re: Hybrid Nest With Frequent Escapes

Mon May 21, 2018 1:58 pm

I had escapees at first before I glued down the nest... But it was fine after I glued it down. Check the mesh on the bottom. Mine has gotten a few holes since I got it that ants could escape from, but I got my nest on a discount since it was the wrong color and could have manufacturing defects. If your nest has holes in the mesh though, and you bought it full price, let AntsCanada know. Also check all connections leading to your outworld, as well as your outworld barrier. Also make sure the cotton blocking the portals are really shoved in and your using plenty of cotton.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile