Mite? On queen ant

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Varanid

Mite? On queen ant

Sat May 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Caught a queen ant, Solenopsis. Anyway, while looking at her through a loupe I noticed an external parasite. It looks like a tick. I believe it may be a mite. I was trying to get a picture of this mite or whatever it is. It disappeared and I saw the queen chewing on something? Did she eat it? Anyway if this thing shows again is there anything I can do to get rid of it? Was thinking putting her in the cold may cause it to drop off. Any suggestions in case I come across this in the future? Or in case this one is just hiding really well?

antnest8

Re: Mite? On queen ant

Thu May 24, 2018 2:52 pm

she must of got rid of it. in mites their is little you can do. I really think that people have most likely thought of putting the mites in the cold before but try it anyway if the mite appears again maybe that will be the solution. just be careful with ant and the cold (they don't like it ;) )
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Varanid

Re: Mite? On queen ant

Mon May 28, 2018 8:49 am

The mite is back, will try refrigerating to see if it drops off. If that does not work may try to remove it with a microscope. It is very tiny, barely visible with the ***** eye.