AntsDakota's Lasius niger Colony (need name suggestions)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsDakota

AntsDakota's Lasius niger Colony (need name suggestions)

Fri May 18, 2018 2:50 pm

I caught a Lasius niger colony! I am almost certain it was founded last fall, so you could say that I found the queen in her claustral chamber. It has one queen, and about 200 workers. I brood boosted them so they now have about 100 larvae of all sizes, and the queen is laying eggs! :D They are very aggressive, and brown-black. So, I need name suggestions for this colony please! (Antnest8, you seem pretty good with names).
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsDakota

Re: AntsDakota's Lasius niger Colony (need name suggestions)

Mon May 21, 2018 5:10 pm

I decided to place my newly caught Lasius neoniger queen (read about her in The Neon Nation journal) into my L niger colony. The workers approached the queen several times, yet left her alone. If the queen is not accepted into my colony and lives, she will develop the colony's pheromone and the workers will tend to her as if she was their own mother.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

antnest8

Thu May 24, 2018 3:05 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
(Antnest8, you seem pretty good with names)
:lol: thanks a lot but, it seems that the Neon Nation is a good name too.

also sorry i could not respond in time i have been trying to catch up from last weekend.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

AntsDakota

Sat May 26, 2018 12:10 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:05 pm
AntsDakota wrote:
(Antnest8, you seem pretty good with names)
:lol: thanks a lot but, it seems that the Neon Nation is a good name too.

also sorry i could not respond in time i have been trying to catch up from last weekend.
The Neon Nation is supposed to be for my L. neoniger colony. I was thinking about naming my L. niger colony Niger. (After the country)

AntsDakota

Sat May 26, 2018 12:11 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:10 pm
I decided to place my newly caught Lasius neoniger queen (read about her in The Neon Nation journal) into my L niger colony. The workers approached the queen several times, yet left her alone. If the queen is not accepted into my colony and lives, she will develop the colony's pheromone and the workers will tend to her as if she was their own mother.
I found her dead the next morning, predictably.

AntsDakota

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:43 pm

The brood pile is increasingly rapidly and I now have pupae.

Batspiderfish

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:10 pm

They are probably Lasius alienus rather than L. niger. The presence of Lasius niger in North America is extremely exaggerated and isolated, probably not even related to the European ant. L. alienus, on the other hand, is very widespread and one of my favorite Lasius species.

A colony that size is at least a year or two old. I wouldn't put your other Lasius queens at risk, since they will be intolerant of any additional queens regardless of whether they make it amongst the workers.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsDakota

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:02 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
They are probably Lasius alienus rather than L. niger. The presence of Lasius niger in North America is extremely exaggerated and isolated, probably not even related to the European ant. L. alienus, on the other hand, is very widespread and one of my favorite Lasius species.

A colony that size is at least a year or two old. I wouldn't put your other Lasius queens at risk, since they will be intolerant of any additional queens regardless of whether they make it amongst the workers.
The workers look similar to L. alienus workers, yet the queen is abnormally small and more round than my former Lasius alienus queen, and she just looks like Lasius niger.

Batspiderfish

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:30 pm

AntsDakota wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:

The workers look similar to L. alienus workers, yet the queen is abnormally small and more round than my former Lasius alienus queen, and she just looks like Lasius niger.
If you look at the antennal scapes (the long, first antennal segment) do you see lots of hairs, along the entire length, sticking straight out (as opposed to lying flat)? This will likely require some strong magnification.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsDakota

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:30 pm
AntsDakota wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:

If you look at the antennal scapes (the long, first antennal segment) do you see lots of hairs, along the entire length, sticking straight out (as opposed to lying flat)? This will likely require some strong magnification.
To me, Lasius niger and alienus queens look very different from each other. So if I can get a picture of the queen (she's in a dirt setup), would that help?