My Queen is Moving Eggs in Tube

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Masterchief

My Queen is Moving Eggs in Tube

Wed May 16, 2018 10:56 am

Hey AC Fam!! I have a beautiful Liometopum Occidentale Queen! She has laid a nice clutch of about 30 eggs. Recently I've done my best to not look at her or disturb her but I really want to see her first brood so typically I wait 2 to 4 days to check on her but these last two days I snuck in a peak!
I was really worried this morning when I opened her drawer to find her moving a small clump of the eggs closer to but not on the water side of the test tube!? Is this typical ant queen behavior? Should I be worried about the humidity or temperature? Any and All help would be Awesome! Here is a link to the pictures from yesturday, and her moving them today! Thanx and Go ACAF!

https://imgur.com/gallery/9cHLAPO
Keeper of
1 Liometopum Occidentale (Velvet Tree Ant)
1 Tetramorium (Pavement Ant)

Varanid

Re: My Queen is Moving Eggs in Tube

Fri May 18, 2018 8:29 am

The queen will move the eggs to wherever she feels has best conditions. The workers will do the same once they arrive. As long as there is water in the tube you should not worry much about humidity. Her moving them shows that she is taking care of them. If something were wrong she would scatter the eggs and ignore them. Or she would eat the eggs. At least that has been my experience thus far. Still a beginner myself as well though.

Masterchief

Fri May 18, 2018 9:42 am

Awesome! That really puts my mind at ease. She definitely keeps them "clumped" together wherever she moves them to! The oldest of them are now 12 days old! I'm Super excited for my first little pupae!
Keeper of
1 Liometopum Occidentale (Velvet Tree Ant)
1 Tetramorium (Pavement Ant)

KeeperOfAnts

Thu May 24, 2018 6:28 pm

My queen make two clumps of eggs even though she only has 7-10 eggs. Is that ok!?

colo3000

Thu May 24, 2018 6:40 pm

KeeperOfAnts wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:28 pm
My queen make two clumps of eggs even though she only has 7-10 eggs. Is that ok!?
Your queen definitely knows what she’s doing with her eggs. She will do whatever she thinks is best for them and move them to the dryer or more moist side of the test tube based on what they need.
-Colo3000