Lighting experience.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Phelpzp

Lighting experience.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:10 pm

Alright I've had my share of complete fails, however this year is interesting. Besides the invasions within this spring already. I left my newly caught Penn queen and Noveboracensis last year, In a completely lighted closet from day one of them being captured(Led light) even thoughout winter. They have came out great, even extremely active at all times of day for visitor's after being hibernated in bright light all day and night. Actaully I'm amazed, by their aggresiveness. Before other colonies seemed overly cautious over the years with everything from light and feeding. These two completely different colonies, and the new queens are, well, intimidating in day light. They are not frightened by anything, light or shadows, queens and workers. The question here is do their eyes, though very under developed to light and vision in a whole, adjust to light? Even their hunting abilities seem better and even their egg laying abilities seem improved. Maybe I just had really boring colonies before? Any thoughts or experiences? I must say +1 to daylight in my experience so far.

Phelpzp

Re: Lighting experience.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:47 pm

I would like to include the differences I'm experiencing with Penn and Nove aswell. It turns out that within the same cycle period, with light. Penn nanitics are almost twice the size of Nove, Nove seem to have 3 types of workers. Penn only two so far. Large workers with a major in every few eggs. Nove is suprising, considering the workers have gotten smaller then the first generation, but They have much more majors that even scout and defend then Penn. Which uses lighter girls to forage. It seems the crimson color symbolises the Warrior Lmao.

antnest8

Re: Lighting experience.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:53 pm

the light will do nothing to the queens. The only reason people recommend keeping them in the dark is because it is just one more way how to get your colony to move. next queens i catch i will test them for the same signs you had. :D
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum