Moving my ants after using the fridge to chill them(switching their test tube to a new ac test tube portal)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Shnicnick

Moving my ants after using the fridge to chill them(switching their test tube to a new ac test tube portal)

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:19 pm

My small colony of Camponotus Pensylvanicus(currently consists of queen, three workers, two pauli, and several larvi and eggs) is currently housed in an ac test tube portal with two test tubes for nesting. The bottom surface of the test tube portal has become covered with honey and is beginning to mold. This colony is very jumpy and is easily disturbed and I was wondering if before I move the actual test tubes that they are in into a completely different test tube portal if I could put them in the fridge to slow them down and make switching out the test tube portal easier.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Moving my ants after using the fridge to chill them(switching their test tube to a new ac test tube portal)

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:48 pm

I have used the fridge to slow my solenopsis down when I'm doing something that requires a massive undertaking. Big thing to remember is that you don't want to leave them in too long.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

antnest8

Re: Moving my ants after using the fridge to chill them(switching their test tube to a new ac test tube portal)

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:05 pm

I've heard you can't put them in longer than 2 minuets or you could kill them. I would put them in for like 30 seconds and then put them on a clear table or counter and then move them. the clear counter is that is they escape you can easily capture them.

(note: I have never tried this before try at your own risk)
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Shnicnick

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:50 pm

I found my queen in Mccall Idaho, where it is constantly below freezing and it is common to reach below 0 degrees F. How long should I leave them in the fridge for? 1 minute?

antnest8

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:25 pm

ants that go into hibernation in below freezing temperatures have an anti-freeze in their hemolymph which may take time to get in their blood. even if this ant has this trait, she would not get the anti-freeze in the 2 minutes she is in the fridge. other ants don't have this trait at all and just burrow down so far that it is a constant temperature.

as on the time I would put her in, I have never done this before (but I would put her in at increments of 30 seconds and take them out see if they are sluggish then if not put them in for another 30 seconds to be on the safe side)
hope
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Delphie

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:34 am

You will find that they warm up surprisingly quickly and things turn into a gong show at the drop of a hat. Have a small paintbrush handy for catching escapees, or something similar and work with them in a plastic storage container or something similar as they are easier to keep track of in a container than loose on a counter or table. Get as much prepared ahead of time as possible.

CherrieEvolved

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:54 pm

You should be fine. Only 3 workers. Just have them out, and be quick. Dont remove the cotton of the tube until there are no ants on it. I Did this the other day with a colony of 7...just dont drop them! haha. Good luck!
Keeper of:
Formica Sp
Myrmica Sp

Founding:
4x Formica Sp
1x Camponotus Sp