dying Phiodole colony

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

antsRlife

dying Phiodole colony

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:39 am

Pleasssssse help. my new pheodole colony that i got from a trade with ants Australia are all dying, they seemed fine after they came, all ecstatic to get out and that, really healthy... Until... i bought a new tub of mealworms from pet stock and strait away fed them. They loved getting into it until most of it was gone, after the first day of them eating it i saw a single dead ant which i thought was normal, but one thing stood out, a struggling major that was usually ready for action to defend off predators .Then day two, i woke up to see ten dead ants in the out world and more ants struggling. day three, even more ants dead in the outworld and all the workers and majors struggling. but lets get to the present now... i have put them in quarantine which has helped a lot, but ants are still dying but the worst thing is, the queen is really in pain, the new brood is either dying or getting eaten off, more workers dying every day. i don't know what to do. the queen looks like she is on her death bed, so please someone HELLLLLPPPPP MEEE :? :cry: So from 50+ down to 20+ in less than 4 days.
Queens only:
Myrmecia Pilosula (6 larvae, 1 pupae)

Early Stage Nests:
x1 Anonychromyrma (15-20 workers)

antnest8

Re: dying Phiodole colony

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:50 am

it could have been the mealworms
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:59 am

Do a check on what the species regular foods are and try to match it. I know sometimes they can have an issue with specific foods, others don't have an issue at all with any type of food and will either eat or not eat it. Also are they being kept at the right temperature? That can be a major issue also. As ant keepers we try to simulate the living conditions (foods, temperature, humidity) as best as we can and with that said if any of those are not where they should be that can make all the difference. Kinda like fish in a fish tank, too cold or too hot of the water, wrong type of food can kill them off easily.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

antsRlife

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:42 pm

the tempreture seems fine, but i think it might have been what the mealworm providers where feeding them that might have been the problem
Queens only:
Myrmecia Pilosula (6 larvae, 1 pupae)

Early Stage Nests:
x1 Anonychromyrma (15-20 workers)

antnest8

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:25 pm

I hope they make it through ok.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Jadeninja9

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:37 pm

MadVampy wrote:
Do a check on what the species regular foods are and try to match it. I know sometimes they can have an issue with specific foods, others don't have an issue at all with any type of food and will either eat or not eat it. Also are they being kept at the right temperature? That can be a major issue also. As ant keepers we try to simulate the living conditions (foods, temperature, humidity) as best as we can and with that said if any of those are not where they should be that can make all the difference. Kinda like fish in a fish tank, too cold or too hot of the water, wrong type of food can kill them off easily.
Do you know why Batspiderfish hasn't been on to give ID's for awhile?
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
MadVampy wrote:

Not sure, by looking up his username you see he was on 2 days ago.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

Jadeninja9

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:48 pm

MadVampy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:02 pm
Jadeninja9 wrote:
MadVampy wrote:

Not sure, by looking up his username you see he was on 2 days ago.
hm.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

PTasker15

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:20 pm

You Put The Colony In The Out World?
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax