Argentine Ants?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Mickle09

Argentine Ants?

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi, I have an argentine ant colony i found and was wondering if they are easy to keep and their needs. (Over 30 Workers 1 Queen) I have them in a small container with dirt and some wet sphagnum moss (using petroleum jelly for border). Thank you

YSTheAnt

Re: Argentine Ants?

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:55 pm

This posting has been removed By MadVampy.
Check out my blog: bayareaants.blogspot.com
Keeper of:
Camponotus Modoc(6 workers)
Pheidole Spp (2 queens, about 10 workers)
Possibly parasitic Formica (further ID required)
Novomessor Cockerelli (10+ workers)

idahoantgirl

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:25 pm

OK, woah, woah, woah. NO way! that is not good reasoning at all. I keep tetramorium, a highly invasive species in my area, easy to keep, ect.. But that doesn't mean they aren't worth keeping! Also lots of species can climb over petroleum jelly. It's really a lame barrier anyways compared to baby powder of fluon. Mickle, if you want to keep them, go for it. Also Mikey Bustos keeps fire ants which are also invasive. YSTheAnt, be careful when you're giving advice. You don't want to scare someone into throwing out a perfectly good colony. For a beginner, a good hardy colony like Argentine ants or tetramroium can be great as they are forgiving to someone who isn't used to the ropes yet.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

YSTheAnt

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:44 am

First of all Mikey keeps ants that are native to the Philippines, and invasive in other areas. Secondly, I was just saying, that they would inevitably escape and when they do, most likely kill other colonies of native ants that are being kept or living near them.

As for Tetramorium, it has found its balance, and hasn't displaced many, if any native ants. It's illegal to keep soleonopsis invicta (in the US), someone who did got a warning from a government agencies. And at this rate, it will be illegal to keep Argentine ants as well, they are almost, if not just as bad. So honestly, I stand by my opinion. Argentine ants are hard to keep anyway, people on other forums have had low success with them in captivity, and they have nearly killed some colonies that my friend owns, when they got out of his setup while he was experimenting with how the behaved, and he never let them anywhere near his ants again. If he choose s to listen to someone who has actually had experience with the damages these ants can cause or not, is his decision. Just trying to make sure all the native ants don't get killed, if your against that then I don't really know what to tell you, as the more argentine ants thrive, the more the natives die.
Keeper of:

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:24 am

First off yes the transportation of soleonopsis invicta between states is illegal, but it is not illegal to keep them as pets. I looked this up in the state of Alabama and there is no such law. Where did you get that info? Wiki? Yes I found a Wiki on it and the one person who made it and has done 100% of the editing did not state one reference to any laws or such so it's just his or her's option not backed by anything. You can't believe everything you read. Making a statement of "It's illegal to keep soleonopsis invicta (in the US), someone who did got a warning from a government agencies." that is not founded is not the best thing to do.

Yes I agree there are many evasive species of ants across the globe and the local, state, governments for those countries have established rules to combat the species on how to handle, and eradicate them so they don't have a local or country wide impact on the areas. With this being said, as long as you learn the Do's and Don'ts of a specific species then your doing the right thing.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

YSTheAnt

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:51 pm

Sorry after doing further research it was just in a handful of large counties in CA, didn't do the research on that, my apologies. It's the LA area, along with lots of other counties. Also, someone on formiculture got a warning from the government (FDA?) for keeping them. They have the message from them.
Keeper of:

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:10 pm

It's all good. Yes I grew up in CA and that state has a lot of imported goods from around the world and other states so they have to be extra careful about invasive plants and animals and insects. The one thing about CA is that it is the home to many climates and could easily support invasive intruders.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

YSTheAnt

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm

Yeah, it creeps me out when I see my friends colonies get raided and they carry back the corpses, truly a very diverse climate.
Keeper of: