Ants wont go to hibernation

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Tedapro

Ants wont go to hibernation

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi. About two weeks ago i boght some ants that came in the mail. They do hibernate sow therefor i putt them in my fridge at 12°C (53°F). They where from spain and supost to be hibernated at this temprature. The day after they looked to be slowing down. But when i checked up on them this week they looked even more active then when i got them, and the temp had kept itself on 12°C. What should i do.

My ideas:
1. Wait a few more weeks
2. Take them out (they might allready been in hibenation)
3. Lower the temprature some more

For an extra tip. They had enought food and where messor barbarus.

So if anyone could help me out i would appreciate it sow much.

Batspiderfish

Re: Ants wont go to hibernation

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:44 pm

A lot of people think that ants hibernate like mammals, in a sleep-like state. Hibernation to ants only means a lower metabolic rate assisted by low temperatures (they are ectotherms). They may or may not show any visible signs of hibernating.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Tedapro

Re: Ants wont go to hibernation

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:44 pm
A lot of people think that ants hibernate like mammals, in a sleep-like state. Hibernation to ants only means a lower metabolic rate assisted by low temperatures (they are ectotherms). They may or may not show any visible signs of hibernating.
ah ok i see, thanks