wood ants won't eat

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Post Reply
alexjames
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:19 am
Location: bc,canada

wood ants won't eat

Post: # 33168Post alexjames
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:04 am

I have a small formica rufa colony or wood ants, they have about 8 workers and 1 queen. I have been feeding them honey, mealworms and crickets but the won't eat it and they barely come out of their test tubes. does any one else have any other suggestions.

idahoantgirl
Posts: 991
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: wood ants won't eat

Post: # 33178Post idahoantgirl
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:05 pm

alexjames wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:04 am
I have a small formica rufa colony or wood ants, they have about 8 workers and 1 queen. I have been feeding them honey, mealworms and crickets but the won't eat it and they barely come out of their test tubes. does any one else have any other suggestions.
if they don't eat, they are not hungry. They aren't going to be too picky. Young colonies go through phases of not eating much.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Lasius Neoniger

User avatar
Jadeninja9
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: wood ants won't eat

Post: # 33179Post Jadeninja9
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:52 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:05 pm
alexjames wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:04 am
I have a small formica rufa colony or wood ants, they have about 8 workers and 1 queen. I have been feeding them honey, mealworms and crickets but the won't eat it and they barely come out of their test tubes. does any one else have any other suggestions.
if they don't eat, they are not hungry. They aren't going to be too picky. Young colonies go through phases of not eating much.
wouldn't it be because they would be hibernating in the wild at this time, thus not having an urge to eat right now.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Hyatti
Founding:
10x Lasius alienus queens

idahoantgirl
Posts: 991
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: wood ants won't eat

Post: # 33180Post idahoantgirl
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:18 am

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:52 pm
idahoantgirl wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:05 pm
alexjames wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:04 am
I have a small formica rufa colony or wood ants, they have about 8 workers and 1 queen. I have been feeding them honey, mealworms and crickets but the won't eat it and they barely come out of their test tubes. does any one else have any other suggestions.
if they don't eat, they are not hungry. They aren't going to be too picky. Young colonies go through phases of not eating much.
wouldn't it be because they would be hibernating in the wild at this time, thus not having an urge to eat right now.
Yes that is likely. Are you hibernating them? If they are supposed to hibernate then you should hibernate them. A cold garage, cold room, crawspace, fridge (if u make the fridge warmer than usual) will all work.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Lasius Neoniger

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 2401
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: wood ants won't eat

Post: # 33182Post Batspiderfish
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:39 am

Formica rufa is not found in North America -- I would try to get the ants ID'd. Regardless, the ants should have been in hibernation a while ago, and that is probably why they are not eating.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

alexjames
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:19 am
Location: bc,canada

Re: wood ants won't eat

Post: # 33233Post alexjames
Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:31 pm

thanks for all the help every one I will do my best to find a spot to hibernate them.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests