wood ants won't eat

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

alexjames

wood ants won't eat

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:04 am

I have a small formica rufa colony or wood ants, they have about 8 workers and 1 queen. I have been feeding them honey, mealworms and crickets but the won't eat it and they barely come out of their test tubes. does any one else have any other suggestions.

idahoantgirl

Re: wood ants won't eat

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:05 pm

alexjames wrote:
I have a small formica rufa colony or wood ants, they have about 8 workers and 1 queen. I have been feeding them honey, mealworms and crickets but the won't eat it and they barely come out of their test tubes. does any one else have any other suggestions.
if they don't eat, they are not hungry. They aren't going to be too picky. Young colonies go through phases of not eating much.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Jadeninja9

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:52 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
alexjames wrote:
if they don't eat, they are not hungry. They aren't going to be too picky. Young colonies go through phases of not eating much.
wouldn't it be because they would be hibernating in the wild at this time, thus not having an urge to eat right now.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

idahoantgirl

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:18 am

Jadeninja9 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:52 pm
idahoantgirl wrote:
alexjames wrote:
wouldn't it be because they would be hibernating in the wild at this time, thus not having an urge to eat right now.
Yes that is likely. Are you hibernating them? If they are supposed to hibernate then you should hibernate them. A cold garage, cold room, crawspace, fridge (if u make the fridge warmer than usual) will all work.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Batspiderfish

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:39 am

Formica rufa is not found in North America -- I would try to get the ants ID'd. Regardless, the ants should have been in hibernation a while ago, and that is probably why they are not eating.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

alexjames

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:31 pm

thanks for all the help every one I will do my best to find a spot to hibernate them.