How to move a 5 queen 200 worker Pheidole colony out of a dirt tower setup with no outworld

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Yolomanguydude

How to move a 5 queen 200 worker Pheidole colony out of a dirt tower setup with no outworld

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:09 am

I have a colony of pheidole sp with 5 queens and 200 workers. I want to move them into a big test tube but i dont know how to get them to move. So far, light has not worked and drying out the nest makes them dig even deeper. Any suggestions?

Thanks

p.s
Please reply asap

idahoantgirl

Re: How to move a 5 queen 200 worker Pheidole colony out of a dirt tower setup with no outworld

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:09 am

Eventually the water will completely dry out from the dirt tower setup, and they will begin to look for better options. If an ant colony can stay in their current home, they prefer to. They are somewhat vulnerable when on the move to attacks from other colonies, so if they can dig deeper, they will. If you stop watering them, they will eventually completely move out into your tube as long as you have it in a nearby place. Also make sure the tube is covered with something to make it dark. Plug the exit with cotton and them shove a drinking straw between the exit cotton and the side of the tube. This will make the tube feel less exposed. At 200 workers, you can move them into a nest, you know. Or are you planning on just keeping them in tubes?
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile