Mini Fridge Hibernation...

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

xTNxANTMANx

Mini Fridge Hibernation...

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:13 pm

Ok, so I am seeing a lot of posts about hibernation lol and here is another. So I don't have a basement, nor a garage or attic...so I have purchased me a decent size mini fridge. I have been reading up on all the information but I know for a fact there are experienced ant keepers n this forum that have been keeping for more thana year. I keep reading (and averaging)the best temp to keep them at is roughly 8°-10°C. My question is, at the absolute lowest setting, my mini fridge has reached approximately 5°C (41°F). Is that to cold? It fluctuates between 4.4°-6.3°C (roughly 40°-43°F) but no lower. It does get pretty cold here in Tennessee and well below that temp so I am just curious if that temp will work. The thermometer is also closer to the top closer to the fan so I'm going to check the approx temp in the bottom. Thanks though for any and all info.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

PTasker15

Re: Mini Fridge Hibernation...

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:17 am

No.No.No.No.No.No.Doing So Many Things Wrong

No Tenputure Fluxutation
NO Fridge!Just Take Chances Like An.Same Situation.Although 1 Of Every 3 Colonies Will Die,So Order Cooling Mat.
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

xTNxANTMANx

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:29 am

I have talked to many others already on different forums and it get a lot colder here...been told it should work just fine and I've had others tell me they use the same process for hibernation..
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

Tedapro

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:39 am

Ye i hibernate my ants in a fridge and it seems to be all fine, but try to wrap them up in some aluminium foil, that will help keeping the temprature stable if u where to get an electical-hutdown or something like that

PTasker15

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:03 pm

Tedapro wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:39 am
Ye i hibernate my ants in a fridge and it seems to be all fine, but try to wrap them up in some aluminium foil, that will help keeping the temprature stable if u where to get an electical-hutdown or something like that
Oh.
Keeping ants for 6 years now.

Current Species: Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Camponotus decipiens,Camponotus snellingi Solenopsis invicta,Nylanderia sp,Brachmyrmex patagonicus,Pheidole obscurothorax,Pheidole moerens,Pachycondyla harpax

AntViking

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:09 pm

Same boat as you man. My mini fridge is where they are kept as it gets around -30 F in my unheated garage and I have no where else to keep them. The only worry I'd have is if it's a fridge with a upper freezer compartment, SOME times they malfunction where it will think it's too warm in the top and suddenly drop the temp automaticly. It's never happend to me personally but I've read stories of it

xTNxANTMANx

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:52 pm

That's why I chose to put all mine in the bottom part of the fridge lol...just to be safe. Plus, it stays around 46°F towards the bottom. All seems to be going well so far and they been in for 3 weeks so far.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2