Some help with black mold?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Idahoantguy

Some help with black mold?

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Hello everyone,
I recently taped a fresh test tube to an existing one with a colony in it to allow a tube change. The colony didn’t move to the other test tube until a day or two ago, but now there is black mold covering the entire face of the cotton in the new test tube. The queen has actually moved back into the old test tube but left the brood pile in the moldy one. I want to get them to move the brood back into the old test tube so that i can attach a new one. What could I do? What can be done to prevent black mold growing; the new test tube had been recycled from another queen who died, did I not clean it out well enough? Thanks in advance for any help!
P.S. I was moving them since the water in their test tube was probably going to run out before hibernation
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

idahoantgirl

Re: Some help with black mold?

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Idahoantguy wrote:
Hello everyone,
I recently taped a fresh test tube to an existing one with a colony in it to allow a tube change. The colony didn’t move to the other test tube until a day or two ago, but now there is black mold covering the entire face of the cotton in the new test tube. The queen has actually moved back into the old test tube but left the brood pile in the moldy one. I want to get them to move the brood back into the old test tube so that i can attach a new one. What could I do? What can be done to prevent black mold growing; the new test tube had been recycled from another queen who died, did I not clean it out well enough? Thanks in advance for any help!
P.S. I was moving them since the water in their test tube was probably going to run out before hibernation
yeah, you probably didn't clean it well enough. Considering the fact that I know this colony is tetramorium (nice signature-- Feel ya :( :? :lol: ) I would suggest tapping the brood into the tube with the queen (or tapping the queen into the tube with the brood) and then washing out the other tube very well (you can even drop it into a pot of boiling water to sterilize it. then you can re make the tube setup using tools to push the cotton in that are sterilized. then you can move your colony into the fresh tube. Normally i wouldn't suggest forcefully moving your colony, but considering that I have experienced the hardiness of tetramorium, I don't think it will cause much stress. Hope I helped!

--Idahoantgirl
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Idahoantguy

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:36 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:04 pm
Idahoantguy wrote:
Hello everyone,
yeah, you probably didn't clean it well enough. Considering the fact that I know this colony is tetramorium (nice signature-- Feel ya :( :? :lol: ) I would suggest tapping the brood into the tube with the queen (or tapping the queen into the tube with the brood) and then washing out the other tube very well (you can even drop it into a pot of boiling water to sterilize it. then you can re make the tube setup using tools to push the cotton in that are sterilized. then you can move your colony into the fresh tube. Normally i wouldn't suggest forcefully moving your colony, but considering that I have experienced the hardiness of tetramorium, I don't think it will cause much stress. Hope I helped!

--Idahoantgirl
Ok, I got them to move back into the old tube, so now I’m trying to get them into another new setup. They aren’t moving at all and the tube where they are actually started to flood a bit since I’m using a lamp on them. I got kind of worried so I got the queen and moved her and a couple of workers to the new tube using a Q-tip. Should I just try to get the rest of the brood into that tube by tapping it as well?
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Idahoantguy

Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 pm

So I tried tapping them in, and ended up getting like 10 more workers in there and a couple of brood. I think the water caused the brood to stick to the sides of the test tube... I’m getting a little nervous about them with the weather getting colder and hibernation approaching. Currently they have the two tubes taped together, I poked a small hole in the tape between the tubes and taped some cotton over it to allow them to breathe. I could potentially hibernate them like this if I wanted to... when should I start hibernating them? Like I said, I’m getting worried about them so any help is great.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

idahoantgirl

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:41 am

Idahoantguy wrote:
So I tried tapping them in, and ended up getting like 10 more workers in there and a couple of brood. I think the water caused the brood to stick to the sides of the test tube... I’m getting a little nervous about them with the weather getting colder and hibernation approaching. Currently they have the two tubes taped together, I poked a small hole in the tape between the tubes and taped some cotton over it to allow them to breathe. I could potentially hibernate them like this if I wanted to... when should I start hibernating them? Like I said, I’m getting worried about them so any help is great.
Ok I didn't know you had workers. That should make moving them easier. Try putting the setup on a steep incline with the new tube at the bottom. you are already shining a light on the old tube, so just make sure the new tube is well covered. (I just had an idea. maybe to keep the new tube from getting hot like the old one, wet a washcloth and wrap the new tube in it. This should keep it cooler.) It can take a while for them to move, so just be patient. as far as hibernation goes, the general rule of thumb is to wait till you stop seeing ants outside. Then in the spring you bring them out again when you see ants coming back out.

--Idahoantgirl
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Idahoantguy

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:14 am

idahoantgirl wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:41 am
Idahoantguy wrote:
Ok I didn't know you had workers. That should make moving them easier. Try putting the setup on a steep incline with the new tube at the bottom. you are already shining a light on the old tube, so just make sure the new tube is well covered. (I just had an idea. maybe to keep the new tube from getting hot like the old one, wet a washcloth and wrap the new tube in it. This should keep it cooler.) It can take a while for them to move, so just be patient. as far as hibernation goes, the general rule of thumb is to wait till you stop seeing ants outside. Then in the spring you bring them out again when you see ants coming back out.

--Idahoantgirl
Ok thanks!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2