Will anything come of my colony?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

nolan1

Will anything come of my colony?

Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:48 am

Okay so I have posted a few times here with various questions and issues but I will give a short overview of what has happened.

I caught a formica queen a few months ago and things were going well, she had 3 eggs make it to the pupa phase and things were going well. It seemed though that I had messed up the test tube setup in some way and the fresh water reservoir was leaking into the main chamber.. I think it is because of this, that the workers that hatched had died. So i decided that I didn't want the queen to stay in that tube with all her dead workers, in fear of them molding and causing issues. So about 2 weeks or so ago I moved her into a new clean setup and since then she seems to be fine.

I checked up on the queen a few days ago and she has laid more eggs. I know that formica don't keep brood over winter, so I'm not sure what to expect. I believe the eggs are 1-2 weeks old, and when I checked a few days ago it looked like some of them hatched into larvae.

What should I expect to come from this and is there anything I can do to help my colony? I am located in south west Ohio, where things are still warm but definitely cooling off. The queen is being stored in a dark cabinet in the garage.
Formica subsericea newbie
1 Colony founded with 8 workers! :D

YSTheAnt

Re: Will anything come of my colony?

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Keep them where they are. Feed the queen a bit of sugar (soaked cotton balls) and protein. Then, if the larvae don't pupate within a month put them into hibernation. Good luck!
Check out my blog: bayareaants.blogspot.com
Keeper of:
Camponotus Modoc(6 workers)
Pheidole Spp (2 queens, about 10 workers)
Possibly parasitic Formica (further ID required)
Novomessor Cockerelli (10+ workers)