Solenopsis Invicta acting strange

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsIreland

Solenopsis Invicta acting strange

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi there, I have recently received a large (3000 worker, 1 queen) Solenopsis Invicta colony.

It is housed in a formicarium very similar to the Omni nest, but has an outworld arena attached.

My ants are behaving weirdly.

They have squashed themselves in to only four or five of the nest compartments until there is literally nowhere for them to move they are that packed in and in the arena they have grouped up in the corner to a group of around 700ish ants.

What are they doing?

Theyre eating well and all but when I got them they were spread around the nest part and only using the arena to forage.

Help appreciated!

Thanks!

idahoantgirl

Re: Solenopsis Invicta acting strange

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:28 pm

AntsIreland wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:56 pm
Hi there, I have recently received a large (3000 worker, 1 queen) Solenopsis Invicta colony.

It is housed in a formicarium very similar to the Omni nest, but has an outworld arena attached.

My ants are behaving weirdly.

They have squashed themselves in to only four or five of the nest compartments until there is literally nowhere for them to move they are that packed in and in the arena they have grouped up in the corner to a group of around 700ish ants.

What are they doing?

Theyre eating well and all but when I got them they were spread around the nest part and only using the arena to forage.

Help appreciated!

Thanks!
Is that section of the nest warmer? they may be crowded there for that reason. Similarly, it could be that that area is moister or dryer, and that particular sections provides the most comfortable living conditions.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile