When to hibernate?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Idahoantguy

When to hibernate?

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:57 pm

Hello everyone,
It is starting to get colder up here in Idaho, and I was noticing that my ant colonies are starting to slow down. I wasn’t sure about when to start hibernating them but I just put them down in our basement today. Are there any issues if the temperature isn’t right for hibernation, does it damage the colony? Also I asked this before but should I feed the colonies one last time? I’m trying it out on one of mine. Lastly, they are Tetramorium sp. E, if that makes a difference.
Thanks!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

idahoantgirl

Re: When to hibernate?

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Idahoantguy wrote:
Hello everyone,
It is starting to get colder up here in Idaho, and I was noticing that my ant colonies are starting to slow down. I wasn’t sure about when to start hibernating them but I just put them down in our basement today. Are there any issues if the temperature isn’t right for hibernation, does it damage the colony? Also I asked this before but should I feed the colonies one last time? I’m trying it out on one of mine. Lastly, they are Tetramorium sp. E, if that makes a difference.
Thanks!
The general rule is to wait till you don't see ants outside. My colony of Tetramorium hasnt slowed down yet so I'm keeping them in my room for now.. Probably in the next couple weeks though I will put them in.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Idahoantguy

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:56 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Idahoantguy wrote:
Hello everyone,
Thanks!
The general rule is to wait till you don't see ants outside. My colony of Tetramorium hasnt slowed down yet so I'm keeping them in my room for now.. Probably in the next couple weeks though I will put them in.
Ok
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

idahoantgirl

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Idahoantguy wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:
Idahoantguy wrote:
Hello everyone,
Thanks!
Ok
My ants are in hibernation now btw
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Idahoantguy

Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:19 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:00 pm
Idahoantguy wrote:
idahoantgirl wrote:

Ok
My ants are in hibernation now btw
Ok me too
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2