Eggs Won't Develop

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jadeninja9

Eggs Won't Develop

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:07 am

It's been 23 days since I first saw that all my Lasius alienus queens have lain eggs, and not a single egg has developed. I see my queens laying more eggs, but they just won't develop. I'm keeping them in a shoebox in the dark on the top of my closet. They are at room temperature. Is this normal for the eggs to not have developed yet?
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

kykel09

Re: Eggs Won't Develop

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:19 am

I would say give it more time. I caught my Lasius Neoniger queens back in July and it took nearly a month before I noticed any change. Alienus species is extremely similar. They like Neoniger, are also sensitive to light. A lot of times, the queen will cover the young larvae with more eggs making it hard to tell that they've already hatched. Mine only just starting cocooning this past week, after over a month from the start of her laying eggs. Patience is key at this stage.

Another thing to consider is I've found some queens to be significantly more sensitive to disturbances. One of my Lasius Neonigers for example cannibalized her eggs not once, but twice because I stressed her out by checking on her too much. The first time I almost didn't notice because she laid more eggs to replace those she'd killed. It's possible one of these things may be happening in your case.

I would recommend, as she is a claustral species, put her away and pending that her test tube has enough water, don't check on her again for 2 weeks. If the eggs are dying, there really isn't much you can do about that. But, if your disturbances are causing the issues, 2 weeks of peace and quiet might get things going.
Charlottesville, VA GAN Farmer
Seller of 3D Printed Nests

Owns:
Camponotus nearcticus
Camponotus castaneous
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Phiedole bicarinata
Tetramorium immigrans
Forelius pruinosis

Jadeninja9

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:28 am

kykel09 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:19 am
I would say give it more time. I caught my Lasius Neoniger queens back in July and it took nearly a month before I noticed any change. Alienus species is extremely similar. They like Neoniger, are also sensitive to light. A lot of times, the queen will cover the young larvae with more eggs making it hard to tell that they've already hatched. Mine only just starting cocooning this past week, after over a month from the start of her laying eggs. Patience is key at this stage.

Another thing to consider is I've found some queens to be significantly more sensitive to disturbances. One of my Lasius Neonigers for example cannibalized her eggs not once, but twice because I stressed her out by checking on her too much. The first time I almost didn't notice because she laid more eggs to replace those she'd killed. It's possible one of these things may be happening in your case.

I would recommend, as she is a claustral species, put her away and pending that her test tube has enough water, don't check on her again for 2 weeks. If the eggs are dying, there really isn't much you can do about that. But, if your disturbances are causing the issues, 2 weeks of peace and quiet might get things going.
I'll do that thanks
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Jadeninja9

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:28 pm

Oh also should I heat them?
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Tetramorium immigrans

idahoantgirl

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:10 pm

you can. It will make them grow faster, but it is not necessary for survival.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile