Nanitic drowned?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

nolan1

Nanitic drowned?

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:45 am

Hi everyone,

I just started having my nanitic show up, and my third working hatched over the last day or two. She's still very pale but looks like she's struggling to stand up because she's too wet? I'm worried she might be drowning or too wet or something I'm not really sure if this is an issue to not. Right before they hatched the queen placed them very close to the water cotton ball, basically in the water. This seems bad to me but I'm not an ant or a seasoned ant keeper. I did give my queen and her first nanitic a tiny drop of honey, if that has any effect.

Please help!
Thank you!
Formica subsericea newbie

idahoantgirl

Re: Nanitic drowned?

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:35 pm

nolan1 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:45 am
Hi everyone,

I just started having my nanitic show up, and my third working hatched over the last day or two. She's still very pale but looks like she's struggling to stand up because she's too wet? I'm worried she might be drowning or too wet or something I'm not really sure if this is an issue to not. Right before they hatched the queen placed them very close to the water cotton ball, basically in the water. This seems bad to me but I'm not an ant or a seasoned ant keeper. I did give my queen and her first nanitic a tiny drop of honey, if that has any effect.

Please help!
Thank you!
Firstly, it is ridiculously hard to drown an ant. they can me submerged in a pool of water for sometimes days and they will be fine. she may have been caught in some condensation that is weighing her down though. I would suggest this to sort of dry out the tube slightly: Cut piece of drinking straw to about an inch length. then, ram it between the side of the tube and the exit cotton, and place the tube in an outworld. this way, it should let extra humidity escape, but also this is a recommended step amongst ant keepers anyways. Place whatever food you want to give them in the outworld, not the tube. (feeding in the tube is messy, and dangerous to the colony because of stress, mold, and getting caught in honey.) They will forage when they need to and get their nutrients the way they are designed to. :)
Proverbs 6:6-11

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.