Formica queen hasn't layed eggs afther first workers

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

nickvaes

Formica queen hasn't layed eggs afther first workers

Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Hey guys so i was pretty excited when my first workers for my formica queen arrived, however a few days afther she still didn't layed any eggs, now a few weeks later she still hasn't layed any eggs and i have no idea why? I always kept het in a testupe setup until the small amount of watter dryed out than I attached a second testupe on the other side (both openings to eachother and taped it together). i fed them some fruitflys but i havn't gave them sugar, wich i think is the reason? is that possible? i now have placed them in a old jar with 1 testupe filled with water 1 testupe filled with sugar water and some fruitflys. I also left their olf testupe so they would be stressed. what can i do to have the best chance for my queen to start laying eggs again?

I also made sure to keep them in the dark all the time and not to check to mush ( 1 time a week ).

here you can find how i started with the queen and might give you some more info.
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3707

AntsOntario

Re: Formica queen hasn't layed eggs afther first workers

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:47 pm

nickvaes wrote:
Hey guys so i was pretty excited when my first workers for my formica queen arrived, however a few days afther she still didn't layed any eggs, now a few weeks later she still hasn't layed any eggs and i have no idea why? I always kept het in a testupe setup until the small amount of watter dryed out than I attached a second testupe on the other side (both openings to eachother and taped it together). i fed them some fruitflys but i havn't gave them sugar, wich i think is the reason? is that possible? i now have placed them in a old jar with 1 testupe filled with water 1 testupe filled with sugar water and some fruitflys. I also left their olf testupe so they would be stressed. what can i do to have the best chance for my queen to start laying eggs again?

I also made sure to keep them in the dark all the time and not to check to mush ( 1 time a week ).

here you can find how i started with the queen and might give you some more info.
Formica queens raise their first batch of eggs into workers, then start laying next year. Occasionally they will lay a couple, but never anything significant. I wouldn't be concerned, mine did the same thing.
Owner of
2 Tetramorium Sp. E Colonies
1 Prenelopis Imparis Colony

nickvaes

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:10 am

AntsOntario wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:47 pm
nickvaes wrote:

Formica queens raise their first batch of eggs into workers, then start laying next year. Occasionally they will lay a couple, but never anything significant. I wouldn't be concerned, mine did the same thing.
ohh owkay, but i thought it was weird since normal workers only live a month or 2? and they would die before new workers arrive?

Batspiderfish

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:23 am

Formica workers can live for years. Whoever told you their lifespan is a month or two probably isn't taking care of their ants.
Links:
Rules & Requirements for Identification:
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=292

How to take pictures for identification:
http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2167