Queen not taking care of eggs

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

ANTphibian

Queen not taking care of eggs

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:42 am

So, I checked on my lasius niger queen this morning. She has been in her test tube for about a month and a half, but doesn't have wings, so I am assuming she has mated. The problem is, she seems to be completely ignoring her eggs. They are scattered all over the tube, and she doesn't seem to interact with them at all. Is this a problem?

TexasGuy

Re: Queen not taking care of eggs

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:16 pm

She could be stressed

AntsMaryland

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm sorry to tell you this, but first of all just because a queen lost her wings that doesn't mean she's fertile. Also, the fact that a queen has eggs scattered around and isn't taking care of them is a very definite sign that the queen is infertile. If those eggs turn into pupae and then hatch, they will be males. Sorry. Hopefully, you caught more than one Lasius queen.

ANTphibian

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:09 pm

AntsMaryland wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:24 pm
I'm sorry to tell you this, but first of all just because a queen lost her wings that doesn't mean she's fertile. Also, the fact that a queen has eggs scattered around and isn't taking care of them is a very definite sign that the queen is infertile. If those eggs turn into pupae and then hatch, they will be males. Sorry. Hopefully, you caught more than one Lasius queen.
Oh, ok thanks. That's disappointing. Thanks for letting me know, though. Shall I release her, do you think?

Phoenix

Re: ID Request

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:34 pm

Fate's Been Sealed, Wings Shed Means She's Unable To Have A Flight - Nor Did It Mattered, Since Hers Was Long Over.
Just Keep Her, You Have Nothing To Lose Anyway.
'Have Fun.' - Gabe Newell