Heating

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Will230145

Heating

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:27 pm

I'm using a zoo med heating cable, my ants LOVE heat, they only inhabit the headed parts and 15 watts only does one tiny part of the hybrid nest, there are 30 ant and a TON of cocoons and major cocoons they are cramped in the one part and won't inhabit the other parts unless it's heated and the heat won't reach any farther. Should I get a heating pad or a higher wattage heating chord.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pensilvanicus
Founding: Lasius Neoniger
Lasius Claviger
Formica subsericea

megaxoplasma

Re: Heating

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:12 pm

I don't think you need the entire nest heated unless your home is normally very cold. Reason why the hybrid nest only has one side for heating is because it is not a great idea to heat the entire nest since if your ants want to cool down for w/e reason, they have no way to do so. Placing cocoon and brood near heat for them makes sense, since heat helps brood develop faster, but the actual adults shouldn't NEED a fully heated nest, assuming rest of nest is not freezing cold, though they may prefer the heat. Its one of those what they want Versus what they need decisions you have to make.

If you really want to heat whole nest, a heating lamp place close to the ceiling of the hybrid nest might work too. It is one of AntsCanada's methods of heating nest and making colony move out, place a hot/warm lamp close(as close as you think you need it) to the nest, with lid close of course.

good luck