Ant Colony In Test Tube

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Ants4life

Ant Colony In Test Tube

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:01 pm

So around Thursday I discovered that one of my queens has 8-10 workers around a week old. So when they where two days old I decided instead of putting honey in the teat tube I would put a straw big enough for them to get through in between the Cotten and test tube. I then placed the test tube in a container with honey drops around. I did this so they could choose when they wanted to eat but none of them have come out yet. So I'm wondering if I should just wait and let them figure it out, or just place honey inside the test tube, or do something different?

KSkuroooari

Re: Ant Colony In Test Tube

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Ants4life wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:01 pm
So around Thursday I discovered that one of my queens has 8-10 workers around a week old. So when they where two days old I decided instead of putting honey in the teat tube I would put a straw big enough for them to get through in between the Cotten and test tube. I then placed the test tube in a container with honey drops around. I did this so they could choose when they wanted to eat but none of them have come out yet. So I'm wondering if I should just wait and let them figure it out, or just place honey inside the test tube, or do something different?
I think they'll come out when they're ready. If you have the option to let them go at their own pace, that's probably best. And it's definitely better than disturbing them by putting it directly in their test tube.

We weren't able to, so we had to disturb them and put honey in every couple of days. But now we finally have an outworld for them, so I feel a lot better.

Congratulations, by the way, on your new workers!

Ants4life

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Thank you very much, I will just wait for them to come out on there on terms. Fingers crossed they will come out soon!

KSkuroooari

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:00 pm

Ants4life wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:00 pm
Thank you very much, I will just wait for them to come out on there on terms. Fingers crossed they will come out soon!
You're welcome! Just passing along the wonderful information that we've been given. Just have to keep in mind that the ants won't starve themselves so it's okay that they don't eat as often as we do or we think they should. 😊