need to move queen but out of test tubes pls help

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsManhattan

need to move queen but out of test tubes pls help

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:03 am

So I caught a queen(I think she is C. novaeboracensis) with brood and pupae, but I used my last test tube to catch her and I need to move her to one with water. Please help quick! Also, how long can a queen survive without water.

Nj6000

Re: need to move queen but out of test tubes pls help

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:54 am

Just put the queen in a container with a moist cotton ball . Make sure to keep the cotton ball moist over the weeks or intel you get a test tube .

Jadeninja9

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:25 pm

You should go to a local florist shop and buy some water picks. They work like test tubes.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Nj6000

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Jadeninja9 wrote:
You should go to a local florist shop and buy some water picks. They work like test tubes.
Yep .

JacobSyndeo

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:06 am

Jadeninja9 wrote:
I didn't have the best luck with these, personally. I kept my test tubes in a closet underneath a washcloth, and every few weeks or so I'd turn off the rest of my lights, shine a flashlight at the ground (not the shelf that they were on—I just needed dim ambient light in order to not disturb the queens), and lift the washcloth in order to observe the queens. I was able to see the queens in the test tubes… however, I was not able to see into the water picks in that dim light, due to their green tint. I left them alone until the other test tube colonies had nanitics, and then finally brought the water picks into the light… but all 3 queens I had in the water picks were long dead. Water had dried out, and one of the dead queens was even covered in mold…

So yeah, just be careful with these, and try to find some way to keep an eye on the queens inside without shining light directly onto them.

Jadeninja9

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:11 am

JacobSyndeo wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:06 am
Jadeninja9 wrote:
I didn't have the best luck with these, personally. I kept my test tubes in a closet underneath a washcloth, and every few weeks or so I'd turn off the rest of my lights, shine a flashlight at the ground (not the shelf that they were on—I just needed dim ambient light in order to not disturb the queens), and lift the washcloth in order to observe the queens. I was able to see the queens in the test tubes… however, I was not able to see into the water picks in that dim light, due to their green tint. I left them alone until the other test tube colonies had nanitics, and then finally brought the water picks into the light… but all 3 queens I had in the water picks were long dead. Water had dried out, and one of the dead queens was even covered in mold…

So yeah, just be careful with these, and try to find some way to keep an eye on the queens inside without shining light directly onto them.
Wow.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans