All my workers died!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

MrSmiley

All my workers died!

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:22 pm

In November last year I got a Campontus Modoc colony on the GAN project with 6 workers, and about 5 larvae (and of course a queen). 3 workers died, but the colony then grew back to 6 workers. Then the workers started dying one by one and today (8/15/15) the last one died and they have no brood! :cry: I don't know what to do! I have been keeping them in an antkit size one nest with a antkit out world. I fed them every 2-3 days with sunburst ant nectar for a while, but began feeding them every day when they started dying because I thought underfeeding might be the problem.

Batspiderfish

Re: All my workers died!

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:51 pm

What about protein (i.e. insects)?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntsRule

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:08 pm

I experienced the same thing with one of my Campontus queens. As long as you were feeding them protein as BatSpiderFish asked its probably not your fault. Campontus can be very finicky and tricky to get passed the test tube stage.
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

MrSmiley

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
I didn't feed them any proteins because I was told that the ant nectar had every thing they needed. Is there anything else that might be a problem and is it OK to feed a queen small insect parts? Also, I still don't know what to do with the queen.

AntsRule

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:57 pm

MrSmiley wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
I didn't feed them any proteins because I was told that the ant nectar had every thing they needed. Is there anything else that might be a problem and is it OK to feed a queen small insect parts? Also, I still don't know what to do with the queen.
Yeah the queen still might be able to refound the colony. Give her a VERY small amount of insect and hope for the best
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Batspiderfish

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:04 pm

Sunburst Ant Nectar has no protein. It's just sugar and vitamins. The sale page says to use it along with insects.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Cartil

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:09 pm

MrSmiley wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:
Your colony needs a variety of food, not just one source, otherwise they will lack some of the nutrients they need to develop properly. It's exactly the same result than if you were eating rice every day and nothing else.