!!Here is a Solution for Queens who seem uncomfortable in the test tube setup!!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Dyllan264

!!Here is a Solution for Queens who seem uncomfortable in the test tube setup!!

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:41 am

Hi everyone, I have recently discovered a new solution to ants who seem crazed and frantic in a test tube setup. Please let me know if this works for you and let’s get into the story.

✖️✖️The answer is at the bottom so if you are in a hurry scroll down✖️✖️

So I recently caught a large black queen and did the regular test tube setup. A day later I checked on her and she was frantically trying to push through the cotton blocking the opening of the test tube. She was also running around very quick and seemed stressed.

First let’s understand why a test tube setup usually works, One it provides water and is rather clean and second it makes them feel as though they are in an enclosed tunnel which recreates their natural environment.

For frantic ants what I found works is to cut a piece of a straw and putting it in the test tube which further simulated the ants natural habitat. Let me know if this works for your ants!! Feedback is also appreciated
Keeper of:

Solenopsis Molesta

Lasius Niger

Pheidole sp.1

Pheidole sp. 2

JadamJedi

Re: !!Here is a Solution for Queens who seem uncomfortable in the test tube setup!!

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:00 pm

I have noticed that my Formica pallidefulva loves the clump of sandy mud I left in her tube.

I'm in Georgia so, it's either sandy dirt or clay lol

Dyllan264

Re: !!Here is a Solution for Queens who seem uncomfortable in the test tube setup!!

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:25 pm

Could you further explain the queens actions with the mud? I’m interested
Keeper of:

Solenopsis Molesta

Lasius Niger

Pheidole sp.1

Pheidole sp. 2

JadamJedi

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:50 pm

So it was a dried out piece probably the size of a nickel. After putting her in and her eggs. I just slid it in right in front of her and she broke it down and over a few hours she took the grains of sandy dirt and built a ring around the entrance of the test tube....

People forget they are still wild and never tamable.

So I figure a little bit of dirt would be a good way to make her feel wild again lol

JadamJedi

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:55 pm

I just checked on her and she has now used the remaining pieces of dirt to build a wall. She must like trump.

idahoantgirl

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:35 pm

Ok, so are you talking about just sticking a piece of straw inside the tube? Not between the exit cotton and the side of the tube?
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Dyllan264

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:56 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:35 pm
Ok, so are you talking about just sticking a piece of straw inside the tube? Not between the exit cotton and the side of the tube?

Well what I mean is cut a small piece of straw. Don’t make it long enough to deny access from the ant. The ant should be free to enter and exit the straw freely. Based off of my results the straw acts as a calming home for stressed ants in a test tube
Keeper of:

Solenopsis Molesta

Lasius Niger

Pheidole sp.1

Pheidole sp. 2

Idahoantguy

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Very interesting... i have found that just leaving the queen there for a couple of days will eventually calm them down. I have had ones that even after a couple of days are still struggling not get out. Just to clarify; you meant like a piece of grass, and put it in he tube with the queen?
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

idahoantgirl

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:43 pm

and does it bridge between the inside of the tube and the outside?
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Dyllan264

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Idahoantguy wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:29 pm
Very interesting... i have found that just leaving the queen there for a couple of days will eventually calm them down. I have had ones that even after a couple of days are still struggling not get out. Just to clarify; you meant like a piece of grass, and put it in he tube with the queen?
No like a plastic straw haha
Keeper of:

Solenopsis Molesta

Lasius Niger

Pheidole sp.1

Pheidole sp. 2