Add another queen?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

CreeperUniverse

Add another queen?

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:01 pm

I have one colony of some sort of Nylanderia that has 7 workers, and is doing wonderfully, and one queen that just lost her last worker today. I don't want my queen to die, so all I can think of is just leaving her someone inside of something in the other ants' outworld and see if they accept her. Thing is, I think they are, but am not sure if they are the same Nylanderia. The 2 queens are slightly different in size, but essentially have/had the same looking workers. And then there's the fact that I don't even know and no one was able to exactly figure out what species of Nylanderia they are at all, so I won't know if they are polygynous. I need suggestions :|
Check out my YouTube channel, Arman's Ants.
https://***/armansants
Also feel free to check out the Discord server, Ant-Keeping & Ethology:
https://discord.me/ants

Idahoantguy

Re: Add another queen?

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:12 pm

CreeperUniverse wrote:
I have one colony of some sort of Nylanderia that has 7 workers, and is doing wonderfully, and one queen that just lost her last worker today. I don't want my queen to die, so all I can think of is just leaving her someone inside of something in the other ants' outworld and see if they accept her. Thing is, I think they are, but am not sure if they are the same Nylanderia. The 2 queens are slightly different in size, but essentially have/had the same looking workers. And then there's the fact that I don't even know and no one was able to exactly figure out what species of Nylanderia they are at all, so I won't know if they are polygynous. I need suggestions :|
Hmmmmm...
That is really tough. Was there a specific reason that her workers began dying off? And is she laying any more eggs? There could just be something wrong with her setup or her feeding (have you tried turning up the temperature around her?). I'm not a huge ant expert and I don't know much about polyginous species but personally I would say that if she continues not laying eggs and doesn't get any more workers after you try solving any problems, I would try it. If she is dying off anyway you might as well try to save her I guess...
There's my five cents, but as I said I'm not very experienced so I can't say I'm giving a professional opinion...
Best of luck to you and your ants!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

CreeperUniverse

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Idahoantguy wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:12 pm
CreeperUniverse wrote:
Hmmmmm...
That is really tough. Was there a specific reason that her workers began dying off? And is she laying any more eggs? There could just be something wrong with her setup or her feeding (have you tried turning up the temperature around her?). I'm not a huge ant expert and I don't know much about polyginous species but personally I would say that if she continues not laying eggs and doesn't get any more workers after you try solving any problems, I would try it. If she is dying off anyway you might as well try to save her I guess...
There's my five cents, but as I said I'm not very experienced so I can't say I'm giving a professional opinion...
Best of luck to you and your ants!
Nah, she was fine, then some workers died, then she got like another, then that one died. I didn't really do anything wrong, I just think she was an unlucky queen. Most fail, after all. After a few more opinions, I'll decide what to do. It would be sick to have 2 queens if that will work. She also doesn't have any more pupae left to hatch and save her rn, so it's either attempt polygyny or let die.

Idahoantguy

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Nah, she was fine, then some workers died, then she got like another, then that one died. I didn't really do anything wrong, I just think she was an unlucky queen. Most fail, after all. After a few more opinions, I'll decide what to do. It would be sick to have 2 queens if that will work. She also doesn't have any more pupae left to hatch and save her rn, so it's either attempt polygyny or let die.
Yea, I'm definitely not saying you did anything wrong, just wondering if you went through all of the trouble shooting solutions. Post how it turns out! I'll subscribe to this topic to see.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

CreeperUniverse

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Idahoantguy wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:22 pm
Yea, I'm definitely not saying you did anything wrong, just wondering if you went through all of the trouble shooting solutions. Post how it turns out! I'll subscribe to this topic to see.
Ok bud. I'll decide tomorrow.