Early stage colony questions

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Idahoantguy

Early stage colony questions

Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Hello everyone, I posted this on my journal forum, but I edited out the "story telling" part and this is just the questions (I don't want anyone to think this is spamming because I just know that not very many people look through my journal). I have a very early colony starting, and I connected it with her workers(she now has probably 20), up to a test tube portal as a starter formocarium, and I just gave them their first real meal! Honey and a crushed bee larvae! So I keep them in a drawer with the rest of the queens, every time I want to feed them I have to open it. I think it disturbs the rest of them. Should I move her out of the drawer and just keep them covered with a towel? Or should I just move them into a hybrid nest and connect the portal? Or even move them into the nest with a outworld?
Thanks for the help!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

Antsinohio

Re: Early stage colony questions

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 pm

I would move them you can put them in a nest with an out world since she has 20 workers but you can just cover them up and put them in a different spot if you want to wait till she has more workers.

Idahoantguy

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Antsinohio wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 pm
I would move them you can put them in a nest with an out world since she has 20 workers but you can just cover them up and put them in a different spot if you want to wait till she has more workers.
Ok, I think I will probably wait, I'm not entirely sure in the number, but it's about 20. Also I have to set up the outworld still. I posted another topic asking how other people have set up theirs, and if you could let me know how you have done yours that'd be great!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

Serafine

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:11 am

You can sort-of separate them by either putting them into a different place or putting the test tube into an outworld. To get them into a nest I'd attach the nest to the outworld and let the ants decide when to move. My Camponotus barbaricus have over 50 workers and are still in their test tube. They have a ton of brood and I doubt they'd been so successful if I had fore-moved them into a larger nest.