What's the best way to move a colony out as soon as possible?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

FlameofOsiris

What's the best way to move a colony out as soon as possible?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:09 am

So, I'm on vacation somewhere and I plan to start a colony. I've tried once during march this year, but it sadly died. When I get back, I'm gonna clean my equipment (posted another thread for that) and then get a colony. I need a surefire way to get them into an omninest (with only 3 rooms available so that garbage doesn't collect) as soon as possible because I believe mold was growing in the setup, and they refused to move out. I even saw the ants exploring it but not moving in. I tried bright lights, heat anything and everything, but nothing worked.

I really need this advice, thanks for reading!

Serafine

Re: What's the best way to move a colony out as soon as possible?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:48 am

First, not all mold is bad for the ants. If the mold is harmful they will avoid it.
Second not all queens will make it, some are just incapable of even raising nanitics no matter how hard you try. If a colony dies that doesn't necessarily mean mold was the issue (in fact most time it isn't).

Third, you should NOT move them into an omni nest that early. In fact, you should simply offer them a new test tube. Moving ants into a formicarium too early can seriously stall their development or even kill the colony (and PLEASE do not try to move them out by heating them, test tubes can get very very hot quickly and there's a good chance you'll fry your ants in the process - instead carefully heat the new nest with a heat mat, so it looks more comfortable to the ants).

Test tubes offer a much more stable environment, don't dry out and do not have humidity spikes because they don't need to get watered, and if assembled carefully with CLEAN HANDS they usually do not develop mold either (my Camponotus barbaricus are living in their test tube for six months now and there is zero mold).
A new test tube is always better than a forced move to a formicarium - some ants can live in test tubes for well over two years to a point where they literally fill the entire tube and it doesn't hurt them at all.

FlameofOsiris

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:23 am

Do you know of any ways to move them into a new test tube?

Also I forgot to add that the ants were mostly hibernated when the mold started growing so there wasn't much hope

Batspiderfish

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 am

Don't force them to move. Give them access, and they will live where it is most comfortable for them.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.