Eggs and Larvae Disappeared Help Please

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Yestordsd287

Eggs and Larvae Disappeared Help Please

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:57 pm

So my Odontomachus laid a big batch of eggs, after which she stopped laying eggs. Only some eggs grew into larva only 2 were eggs. I moved her from her old moldy test tube into a new one, which i sealed with a cotton and a straw for her to leave to the outworld. Last time I checked her, she had 2 eggs, 1 big larvae and 2 small larvae. I checked today and only saw 2 small larvae, no signs of the other brood. i have feed her termites and honey, which she just stacked away. She dragged some dirt into the test tube.
1. WHY HAS SHE STOPPED LAYING BROOD?!?!?!
2. What happened to the brood?

Jadeninja9

Re: Eggs and Larvae Disappeared Help Please

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:32 pm

I think she ate them
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

Serafine

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:29 am

She probably ate her eggs because you disturbed her. She was thinking the place isn't safe so it's better to recycle those resources rather than loosing all of them due to a predator (you). Next time just put a fresh test tube into the setup and wait for her to move on her own. Since she's semi-claustral she will find it easily.

Yestordsd287

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:21 am

Serafine wrote:
She probably ate her eggs because you disturbed her. She was thinking the place isn't safe so it's better to recycle those resources rather than loosing all of them due to a predator (you). Next time just put a fresh test tube into the setup and wait for her to move on her own. Since she's semi-claustral she will find it easily.
Oh ok. I put a second test tube in her outworld 1 week before, which she completely ignored at the start, then I observed she moved into the new test tube

Yestordsd287

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:13 pm

Serafine wrote:
also i don't understand why has she stopped laying eggs

Serafine

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:07 pm

She might need to calm down or require some time actually produce new eggs. Just leave her undisturbed for a week or two and she's most likely gonna lay more eggs.

Yestordsd287

Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Serafine wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:07 pm
She might need to calm down or require some time actually produce new eggs. Just leave her undisturbed for a week or two and she's most likely gonna lay more eggs.
okay i will wait and in a week i will check on her again and see the changes.