Moving colonies question

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Barfdog

Moving colonies question

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:33 pm

I've made a similarly titled post awhile ago. Another few questions. Trying to move my only remaining veromessor queen into another setup that's currently attached via test tube portal. The queen can tell the mold is bad and has already preemptively moved her brood near the entrance of the test tube. She still goes near the mold and I'm worried she's gonna kill herself being near that growth. I added a heating cable and inching it closer to them as they move out. I'm just worried it might get too hot in their since I had to use a glass test tube. Whats the max temperature I should get them close to. My heating cable is only 15 watts but gets the glass where the cable is touching to nearly 102 degree, way to hot I think. So I'm keeping it just far enough away to make them uncomfortable, as well as exposing them to light. Any suggestions on the heating cable use? It's worked every time in the past and now that I have a laser temperature reading device I can tell it's far too hot.

TLDR: Catch 22 situation where if the queen doesn't move she will die of mold outbreak, if she doesn't move fast enough, she will die from exposure to the heat I'm assuming. If I don't have the heat on them they will never move. Suggestions? Thanks fam.

Update: Looks like it got to hot in general, within a five minute period of the heat cable being near them it looks like it messed the brood up and the only worker she had. I don't understand how this could have happened when it was only 92 degree near them, why didn't they move?! I'm about to say screw ever using a heating cable again

ALSO: Before I get flamed for using heat to move them and not waiting for them to be ready (which this never works for me, they also just adjust to being exposed to light), they would die from the mold anyways, as well as I was going off of this video

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTE9umXsSIU
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen

Barfdog

Re: Moving colonies question

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Barfdog wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:33 pm
I've made a similarly titled post awhile ago. Another few questions. Trying to move my only remaining veromessor queen into another setup that's currently attached via test tube portal. The queen can tell the mold is bad and has already preemptively moved her brood near the entrance of the test tube. She still goes near the mold and I'm worried she's gonna kill herself being near that growth. I added a heating cable and inching it closer to them as they move out. I'm just worried it might get too hot in their since I had to use a glass test tube. Whats the max temperature I should get them close to. My heating cable is only 15 watts but gets the glass where the cable is touching to nearly 102 degree, way to hot I think. So I'm keeping it just far enough away to make them uncomfortable, as well as exposing them to light. Any suggestions on the heating cable use? It's worked every time in the past and now that I have a laser temperature reading device I can tell it's far too hot.

TLDR: Catch 22 situation where if the queen doesn't move she will die of mold outbreak, if she doesn't move fast enough, she will die from exposure to the heat I'm assuming. If I don't have the heat on them they will never move. Suggestions? Thanks fam.

Update: Looks like it got to hot in general, within a five minute period of the heat cable being near them it looks like it messed the brood up and the only worker she had. I don't understand how this could have happened when it was only 92 degree near them, why didn't they move?! I'm about to say screw ever using a heating cable again

ALSO: Before I get flamed for using heat to move them and not waiting for them to be ready (which this never works for me, they also just adjust to being exposed to light), they would die from the mold anyways, as well as I was going off of this video

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTE9umXsSIU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHB3_9amsQ0 (this is the exact method I used)
Keeper of:

One M1ABRAMS TANK AKA Camponotus Laevigatus Queen