Formica Fusca queen stopped laying eggs

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

antonboll

Formica Fusca queen stopped laying eggs

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi guys,

I caught a Formica Fusca queen last summer, and they hibernated her over the winter, and then I took her out and she started laying eggs.

About 1 month ago, I moved her (queen + 15 workers) into a a little bigger setup than the test tube, and she suddenly stopped laying eggs. She appeared to be running around a lot, so I thought maybe she was stressed out with the new housing - so I migrated them back into a new, clean test tube with sugar water (by placing the new tube close the the old, and gradually make the old setup brighter and brighter over a couple of days.

The move went smooth, they all went over and started to drink at the new tube, etc.
However, she still hasn't laid any eggs. I have given them some protein and honey, and the gasters are full on all ants (I can see the honey inside them).

The temperature is about 23C/73F.

Any ideas why she stopped laying eggs? Is there anything else I can try?

I peak at them about once every third day, to see/checkup on them etc.

Best regards,
Anton

AntOblivion

Re: Formica Fusca queen stopped laying eggs

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:43 pm

My idea is keep her warm, like you were, in the dark, and leave them alone, and finally just be patient i guess. She'll start laying eggs again give her time.

Batspiderfish

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:29 pm

You cannot keep your ants in a tube of sugar water! It will go foul very easily. You need to stop forcing them to move around and just give them a test tube with clean water or their formicarium and let them decide where they want to live.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

antonboll

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:34 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:29 pm
You cannot keep your ants in a tube of sugar water! It will go foul very easily. You need to stop forcing them to move around and just give them a test tube with clean water or their formicarium and let them decide where they want to live.
Oh, okay. Should I move them into a tube with only water and just leave them be?

Batspiderfish

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:13 am

Like I said, give them the option to move, and let them do it on their own. Offer them their sugar in some other way, too.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

antonboll

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:41 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Like I said, give them the option to move, and let them do it on their own. Offer them their sugar in some other way, too.
Okaj, thanks. I'll try that :)

Is there anything else that I can do, if she still does not want to lay any eggs?

Thanks in advance.

Batspiderfish

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:19 am

antonboll wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:41 am
Batspiderfish wrote:
Okaj, thanks. I'll try that :)

Is there anything else that I can do, if she still does not want to lay any eggs?

Thanks in advance.
I believe that they just need to be left alone for a while. Give them regular access to fresh food. What are they getting for protein?

antonboll

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:45 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:19 am
I believe that they just need to be left alone for a while. Give them regular access to fresh food. What are they getting for protein?
First when I connected them to the bigger setup, I did not force them over. The entire setup was in darkness, but one worker went out and discovered it - then went back and literally carried all the other workers there.

I've actually tried some different protein types. Chicken (cooked), a *very* tiny bit of ham and a small part of a dried meal worm.
They appear to like the chicken best, then the ham and last the meal worm. The chicken gets picked up and carried to the cotton where the queen is and devoured, whilst the ham gets eaten at the entrance but the meal worm just gets "nibbled" on.

I also have protein syrup (from anthouse.es) that they appear to like, though I've only given them a drop or two (same as honey).
The gasters appears to be full on them, I can see some whiteisch lines on them, which appeared after eating.

They all appear to be calm and stuff, they're not running around like crazy/tugging on the cotton or anything.

I read on the antwiki that fuscas often lay eggs in "batches", so maybe this is just the period between the batches?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anton

Batspiderfish

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:10 am

I would give them fresh or frozen insects. Since they have no larvae, their ability to eat solid food is very diminished.

Alexjolia02

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:10 am

Guys i cought a formica fusca 4 days ago. I put her in the test tube setup. In the dark and in warmth. She still has not layed eggs. Im bery concerned. Please help me if anyone knows what i can do. Ive attached a pic of her. :(