Newly caught queen digging at cotton

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

KHandcock

Newly caught queen digging at cotton

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I found another queen today and got her home and in a test tube setup this afternoon, but she seems to be frantically digging at the cotton blocking the end of the test tube. Has anyone encountered this before? Is there anything I can do (other than put her in a dark, quiet place) to help her settle in? If this setup is going to be too stressful for her, I would rather release her than put her through that.

I haven't taken any pictures because I wanted to get her into the dark ASAP, but I'm thinking she's probably a camponotus pennsylvanicus - she looks like a perfect match for the pictures online and she's a big girl, easily 15 mm although I haven't gotten a ruler next to her to get a more accurate measurement.

AntOblivion

Re: Newly caught queen digging at cotton

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Yeah man it's normal my C. Subbarbatus queen did. Just give her a few days. Imagine you walking on the sidewalk and a giant stuffs you into a box with something blocking the door. You're going to try to get out right? Just keep her warm and in the dark and she'll adapt to the tube as if it was her home. Good Luck!! :)