Prenolepis imparis

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

idahoantgirl

Re: Prenolepis imparis

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:49 am

Don't feed them insects from outside. Most of the time they are coated in pesticides. Go to a pet shop and get a box of crickets of mealworms. I recommend freezing them to kill them. Then cut one up in a couple pieces and place it in the outworld. Don't worry if you think they haven't gone outside. They probably have. Even in they haven't they are created to know how to survive and forage, so when they need food, they will go out and find it.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

nerdythang

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:50 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Don't feed them insects from outside. Most of the time they are coated in pesticides. Go to a pet shop and get a box of crickets of mealworms. I recommend freezing them to kill them. Then cut one up in a couple pieces and place it in the outworld. Don't worry if you think they haven't gone outside. They probably have. Even in they haven't they are created to know how to survive and forage, so when they need food, they will go out and find it.
Thanks idahoantgirl!

Next dumb question: how the heck should I get them out of the test tube and into the new mini formicarium? The test tube is too big for the outworld...

idahoantgirl

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:01 pm

nerdythang wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:50 pm
idahoantgirl wrote:
Thanks idahoantgirl!

Next dumb question: how the heck should I get them out of the test tube and into the new mini formicarium? The test tube is too big for the outworld...
Pics? I need to see what a "mini formicarium" is. :D
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Jadeninja9

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:25 pm

I just feed my ants 1 whole mealworm a day and a drop of honey a day. For the mealworms, I don't freeze them. I bought a container of mealworms from PetSmart and put it in a wine cooler set to 45 F which slows down their growth so they don't turn into beetles. I take a small knife, put the knife at the mealworm's "neck", and crush the head with the flat part of the knife. I cut off the head and cut the mealworm's body in half. I feed them all of the parts. You can freeze them, but I don't know how my ants would respond to that. Btw they have 10 workers and are in a test tube.
Keeper of:
1x Camponotus Hyatti
1x Lasius alienus colonies
1x Tetramorium immigrans

nerdythang

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Now the workers seem "sluggish"....could this be from the street of me trying to introduce them to an outworld? Hunger? I put a drop of honey in the test tube, but I really don't like doing that as I'm afraid the young workers will get stuck in it.