can anyone give some insight

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

larynx

can anyone give some insight

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:58 pm

can anyone give some insight on this.
i checked on my solenopsis queens yesterday, that are in the process of enclosing the first set of workers. all was normal, one of the queens has really big pupa, the other has really small pupa, both of them enclosed their first workers on the same night. so one of them enclosed all the workers that were big pupa, and there is now one big pupa left. this one was no where near this big yesterday. it seems to have ballooned over night. check it out. any help would be useful. thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

formica123

Re: can anyone give some insight

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:04 pm

Could be a mojor, but unbelievably to me it looks like an alate larvae!

larynx

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:16 pm

formica123 wrote:Could be a mojor, but unbelievably to me it looks like an alate larvae!
why would she have an alate among her first brood? would this kind of growth happen over night? it was less than half that size, less than 24 hrs ago. crazyyy :geek:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

raxsoller

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:27 pm

maybe that was unfertilized egg. I've red that unfertilized eggs turns into male ants. But the question is why she lay unfertilized egg in this stage?

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:46 pm

larynx wrote:
formica123 wrote:Could be a mojor, but unbelievably to me it looks like an alate larvae!
why would she have an alate among her first brood? would this kind of growth happen over night? it was less than half that size, less than 24 hrs ago. crazyyy :geek:
I have heard of alates (particularly males) randomly appearing among a generation of nanitics in a test tube, so perhaps it is an alate. Or it can be a supermajor? It looks like alate larva to me.
Ant Love Forever.

formica123

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:42 am

AntsCanada wrote:
larynx wrote:
I have heard of alates (particularly males) randomly appearing among a generation of nanitics in a test tube, so perhaps it is an alate. Or it can be a supermajor? It looks like alate larva to me.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
In my old pheidole colony, in the 3rd gen of workers I had alates, so I wonder if it will happen.

Mauritaniants

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:32 pm

AntsCanada wrote:
larynx wrote:
Here is a pheidole queen with an alate on her first generation of eggs.

larynx

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:44 pm

updated pics of,......what... ever this thing is.... lol :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer