Solenopsis Invicta for first colony

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Psyshock

Solenopsis Invicta for first colony

Thu May 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Hello everyone!

I have a Solenopsis Invicta queen I caught a little over a week ago. All is going fines, she has laid eggs and is taking good care of them (I'm so proud of her!!!!) but I'm a little wary of keeping a Solenopsis species as my first ever colony.

What are the pros and cons of keeping Solenopsis colonies and should I keep her? I have another friend who is more experienced that will take her for me who only lives three hours away so she will be safe and sound in the same state. I just don't want to make a huge mistake and get over my head with my first colony.

Thanks for taking the time to help me!

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Solenopsis Invicta for first colony

Thu May 25, 2017 10:47 pm

I wouldn't advise Solenopsis as a first time ant colony. First off they sting and if you're allergic it could be a bad thing for you. Secondly you basicly need to keep them in a closed setup and this includes the outworld. Mikey has his huge colony and pretty much keeps it closed. Also they are escape artist! If they can find a spot to get thru they will, they will eat thru plaster, silicon, glue used in hot glue guns, basicly a lot of stuff. Another thing is the colony grows fast! As you can see in Mikeys video's on YouTube you can see how big and fast they have gotten, he's constantly adding more nests and outworlds to accommodate them.

Now if after that you decide to keep them then just be prepared for a colony that needs a lot of attention!

Good Luck!
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: