Lasius claviger accepted by workers

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsMclama

Lasius claviger accepted by workers

Mon May 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Last year just before winter i caught a Lasius Claviger, Identified in this thread: http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2180
4 days ago i decided it was time to try the family. So i got some brood and workers, not as much as recommended from BatSpiderFish's tutorials. (10/20 workers) And went with the chilling method.
I first put the workers in the fridge for a few minutes. Then i introduced the queen in 2 test tubes taped together. I decided to watch for a couple minutes with the door open in the fridge and the queen immediately went over to the workers, Walked all over them and back to her test tube.
A couple days later they were still not "a joined", so i impatiently tipped the tube and some of the workers went to the side where the queen was. And put the tube back. But at first glance, it looked good.
Yesterday, with the queen and most of the worker ants with the queen at this point, i thought it was time to take them out of the fridge. So i set it to the side and while they warmed up, rather fast.. i ate a sandwich.
Within 5-10 minutes, i saw a worker ant grooming the queen! Wow!
I was surprised, I've read that Lasius Claviger queens are very hard to get started and just simply.. keep alive.

So here i am a day later, and the queen is still alive with her workers! Hope to see eggs in a week ;)
I believe the workers are Lasius Claviger, And i pray they are not from the same colony as the location i got the workers from was 10-15 feet from where i found the queen, on the window of my house with its wings torn off.

Here is a picture 20 minutes after they have warmed up.

Martialis

Re: Lasius claviger accepted by workers

Mon May 22, 2017 2:24 pm

Wow! Nice colony!
Keeper of

Selliing: