Would like some help with Lasius Umbratus

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Aquaexploder

Would like some help with Lasius Umbratus

Tue May 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Recently caught 3 lasius umbratus queens and would just like to know how to care for them and start a colony.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

Batspiderfish

Re: Would like some help with Lasius Umbratus

Tue May 16, 2017 10:10 pm

If you haven't checked it out already: http://www.formiculture.com/topic/3252-much-ado-about-the-founding-of-lasius-temporary-social-parasites/

Lasius umbratus is one of the easy Lasius parasites to keep. Once they are adopted to host workers, their care is identical to other Lasius species.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Aquaexploder

Wed May 17, 2017 4:50 am

Batspiderfish wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 10:10 pm
If you haven't checked it out already: http://www.formiculture.com/topic/3252-much-ado-about-the-founding-of-lasius-temporary-social-parasites/

Lasius umbratus is one of the easy Lasius parasites to keep. Once they are adopted to host workers, their care is identical to other Lasius species.
Ok thanks, but after reading the guild I think it would be best if I found some other non- parasitic queen to get more experience before I attempted them.
Founding:

Crematogaster (2X)

Lasius Neoniger (2X)

xTNxANTMANx

Wed May 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Don't feel bad. Two of the first Queen's I caught this year happened to be parasite Queens. Lasius interjectus. I have now seen 4 Queens of that species but as you said I want a little more experience under my belt before attempting a social parasite Queen. I want more experience in identifying Lasius sp. in general or have a lasius colony of my own before trying. If I had a better idea of what other Lasius sp. look like then I probably would have tried. It would have definitely been a fun challenge.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2