How long to hatch?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

killerguppy101

How long to hatch?

Fri May 12, 2017 6:48 am

I have a Lasius Neoniger queen that I caught in September of last year. She finally laid eggs about 6 weeks ago, but they haven't changed. They haven't grown, changed color, nothing. I'm just wondering how long it generally takes to see some change, and how I can help them along (temperature, humidity, light levels, etc). Right now I keep them in a test tube in a dark closet and check on them once a week or so. It's usually about 70-75F, and not really dry or humid as far as I can tell.

ANTphibian

Re: How long to hatch?

Sat May 13, 2017 4:24 am

killerguppy101 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 6:48 am
I have a Lasius Neoniger queen that I caught in September of last year. She finally laid eggs about 6 weeks ago, but they haven't changed. They haven't grown, changed color, nothing. I'm just wondering how long it generally takes to see some change, and how I can help them along (temperature, humidity, light levels, etc). Right now I keep them in a test tube in a dark closet and check on them once a week or so. It's usually about 70-75F, and not really dry or humid as far as I can tell.
I'm guessing that she probably isn't fertile. It would usually be at most a couple of weeks before she lays her eggs. Stay hopeful though. Sometimes eggs take a couple of months to hatch, but it's hard to tell, so there is still hope yet. It depends on the species.

ultraex2

Re: How long to hatch?

Mon May 15, 2017 11:44 am

6 weeks is about the time it takes from egg to worker - the first round of workers takes longer 8-10 weeks.
Are you sure she isn't eating the eggs?